Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 20 December 2015

Goosander, Lapwing and Daffodils



A very quick visit to the south lake today, after our usual early morning walk and run, in the hope of getting a half decent sunrise.




A sizeable gull roost stretching between the two islands this morning, but too dark in the early light to see much. The boats were making an early start too, and by the time it was light enough for pictures, the gulls had left.



On to the field under the railway arch for the sunrise, and another disappointment.


No where near as good as I'd hoped. Oh well, at least Whisky was getting a good walk this morning.


I started to walk back to the car park, and overhead about 40 Lapwings were circling around. A nice surprise.




 Maybe they'd flown over from Willen Lake.




Around by the houses and my second surprise of the morning.




A male Goosander.


I hadn't noticed him earlier when I walked down to the far end of the lake.
Just the one today; the early light not as good as it is now .................... bright sunshine as I do this.




Finally, almost back at the car park, and a group of Daffodils caught my eye.




 Spring bulbs in December, crazy.


The weather has gone mad this year, it's been so mild.



Someone who's probably enjoying the mild winter weather at the moment though, along with his pals, was this Robin.




 No snow yet. Something to sing about.











Full list  of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Common Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)


Total species  25




10 comments:

  1. The weather is just so weird, it really doesn't feel like Winter yet. Great picture of the Goosander

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots, you have a better camera, and better light, than I do

    ReplyDelete
  3. The robin looks happy with the warm conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Findlay. This weather must be so confusing for the wildlife; and me.
    Hope you and your family have a great Christmas. :-)

    Thank you Simon. The light was so much better once I got home, but at least it was dry.

    Wilma, I should think most of the wildlife is loving this unusually mild weather we have here at the moment. I'm sure it will all change in January though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Goosander shot Keith...and Daffodils in Dec now that is weird!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sondra. Our so called winter weather has been one of the mildest, and wettest, for years. I've had spring flowers flowering in the garden for weeks now. Crazy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have have the same trouble with my dogs there I am running and they are strolling along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has been incredibly mild recently. Haven't seen any daffs but I did notice some Winter Aconite in bloom yesterday. I normally see those in February here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of those days then, Keith? Gulls spooked...a rubbish sunrise,it sounds like it was a tad on the breezy side too, and then it turns into a nice day once you're back home!
    At least the singing Robin and the daffs (must be coming up to Easter soon?!) were trying to brighten things up a bit...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not as quick as I was Adrian. I get tired thinking of some of the things I used to do.

    The weather has gone crazy hasn't it John. I had some Aubretia in flower a few weeks ago.

    Usually happens Trev. The weather improves once I get back home.

    ReplyDelete