Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Tuesday, 21 April 2015

Warblers and nesting



A beautiful sunny morning for my first visit round the lake, after getting back from Wales.


One thing I noticed straight away, was how green everything looks. Wales was still in stick mode when I left.





Lots of singing from the trees and bushes this morning. The dawn chorus was in full swing with Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Robin, Song Thrush, Blackbird and even some elusive Reed Warblers. What a great time of the year this is.


A pair of Mute Swans were nesting in some reeds; not very well hidden, and on the edge of the lake, on the grass, a Canada Goose had chosen an even worse spot.
Two eggs were already on the grass by the nest, and when she stood to make some adjustments, I saw two more eggs that she was sitting on.
I can't see this being a very successful attempt.



I saw my first Common Terns of the year, and the Mallards hadn't forgotten me.
A small group soon appeared as I made my way past the pub.





The south lake was fairly quiet, and not even a gull in sight.

I had a quick look through the railway arch to see how the work was progressing.
Why anyone would go to so much trouble to fence off a (new) ditch is beyond me .......... unless they're are going to build houses on the newly rolled and flattened field.



Quite a few Cowslips at the far end of the lake.





I made my way to where the Robin usually is, but no sign of him.
I left some seed anyway, and carried on towards the rowing club.


After wondering why I'd seen no Swallows or House Martins skimming over the water, a few moments later a handful briefly appeared.


Past the houses, a few more Cowslips, and then back to the car park.



The sun was still shining.









Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
House Martin [sp] (Delichon urbicum)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Eurasian Reed Warbler [sp] (Acrocephalus scirpaceus)
Blackcap [sp] (Sylvia atricapilla)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita)
Willow Warbler [sp] (Phylloscopus trochilus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)


Total species  33


10 comments:

  1. Great to have a look round the lakes. That fencing must have cost thousands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo of the lone cowslip is enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith Welcome back again!! It was lovely that the sun was out and making great reflecttions on the water. Great to see the 2 eggs of the Canada Goose. Did you see my video today of the Swan with 5 eggs at Mount Stewart?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that a Top Secret ditch Keith.{:))
    That Canada Goose is surely pushing his/her luck there, what with some of the clientele you get visiting that area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All looking good in the sunshine for your return this morning Keith?
    I don't think that Canada Goose has much hope....the dogs will do for it.
    Talking of dogs..I noticed that pile of crap was getting bigger the last time I walked around...I can't fathom what's going on there, I thought it was the dogs that left their mark not the owner?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome flight shot Keith, the lake looks great in its new green leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks John. I think there's more to the fence than just 'protecting' a ditch that wasn't that big to begin with.

    Thanks Wilma. I liked that one too.

    Thanks Margaret. Not sure the goose is going to be successful where it is.
    Haven't visited any blogs yet, been too busy getting out and travelling. Will catch up when I can. :-)

    Thank you Dale. Not sure where 'home' is these days ;-)

    Roy, the goose's luck will run out soon, I'm sure.
    That fence certainly looks official.

    Trevor, the bags of dog crap are so annoying; just lazy owners.
    I doubt the goose will last over the weekend.

    Thanks Sondra. The greenery makes such a difference; especially when the sun shines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see you back safe and sound. I can't get the video but will try later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers Adrian. Back for a couple of weeks, then off again.

    ReplyDelete