Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 26 April 2015

Five Yellow Wagtails, Five Common Sandpipers and one Spotted Flycatcher




A good visit today; and my first Sedge Warbler of the year too.



Dull and cloudy start, but it soon brightened up when I spotted a Common Sandpiper circle round Cormorant island.
A quick scan along the shoreline, but I couldn't find it again.
I was going to go round the north lake first, but for some reason I backtracked, and went round the south lake first; I'm glad I did.


Skimming over the water were a lot of Swallows, catching the flies.
Flying with them were a few Sand Martins and House Martins. No sign of any Swifts yet though.


As I made my way round past the houses, I spotted not one, but two Common Sandpipers. And then, to make things even better, a couple of Yellow Wagtails were flying around along the footpath. I counted five in total, in the end.






I carried on towards where the Robin usually is, and as I left some seed for him, sat up in a tree nearby, was a Spotted Flycatcher.
What a day.


Sadly he didn't stay long enough for the camera, so I carried on to the railway arch.


No more work done round the fence, and the field looks like it has something growing in it now.
Not sure what is happening here.


Down the side of the lake towards the north lake now, and the scratchy sound of a warbler was coming from the reeds.
I soon found him. A Sedge Warbler. My first one of the year.






The Swallows seemed to be attracted to the floating algae blaster in the water, and were flying around it, and settling on top for a rest during their feeding sessions.





Under the road bridge, and past the pub.
A few boats were out on the water by now, and a pair of Greylag Geese were swimming past with their goslings.


Up towards the arm at the back of the pub, and a lot of Cuckooflower growing in the grass. For how long I'm not sure. They're bound to be along with the mowers soon.


From the edge of the lake three birds flew off, circled round, and settled on the far side. Three Common Sandpipers.





On round the lake, and a Grey Heron was just devouring his catch.
I'm guessing a Pike, two to three feet long.







It was huge, but he managed it eventually.





I walked up to where the Canada Goose was nesting earlier, and amazingly it's still there. I wish it luck, it's going to need it.


More warblers, and a Song Thrush, and then I was almost back at the car.





A great morning.










Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Common Sandpiper (Actitis hypoleucos)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
British Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major anglicus)
Sand Martin [sp] (Riparia riparia)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
House Martin [sp] (Delichon urbicum)
British Yellow Wagtail (Motacilla flava flavissima)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Sedge Warbler (Acrocephalus schoenobaenus)
Eurasian Reed Warbler [sp] (Acrocephalus scirpaceus)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita)
Spotted Flycatcher [sp] (Muscicapa striata)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)


Total species  40




9 comments:

  1. Wow! that was a fantastic morning Keith. (what a shame there's never anything to see around Caldecotte Lake!)
    Fantastic sight of the Heron having a little something to set it up for the day, good to see those stunning Yellow wags..and the Common Sands..and 'singing bushes' everywhere, and throw in a Spotted Flycatcher to top the whole lot off...that's what it's all about..brilliant!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Trev, it certainly was a great visit today; and not a local birder in sight. I guess they are all too busy up each others backsides and following each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the warbler was wonderful then I arrived at the Heron. I have never seen anything like it. How the hell it could eat anything that size let alone fly afterwards is a miracle. That is a picture for one of the national papers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Adrian. It was a sight to see. Never seen one catch anything that big before. He did stand still for a while afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great selection of birds and song. The Heron shots are amazing. It must have nearly doubled its weight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to find a competition for your heron pics...maybe launch them at the countryfile calendar one. They are remarkable

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holey moley, Keith! Great birds. How did that grey heron manage to even catch that bruiser, much less eat it! After a morning like that the only thing to do is go back to bed; everything else would be a let down. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH My I cant believe the heron was able to swallow that fish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks John. I have an estimate of about 7lbs for the fish from a fisherman.

    Simon, thank you. I might do that.

    Wilma, nature is always amazing me.

    Sondra, it had me wondering too.

    ReplyDelete