Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 22 March 2015

My first Chiffchaff of the year, Oystercatchers and a Weed Dance



Big title .......... big day.


A cloudy start, but the sun began to break through, and now I'm home, it's shining.


A few gulls on the roost, and a couple of Greylag Geese as I passed under the road bridge, to make my way round the north lake.
On the far side I caught a glimpse of one of the Oystercatchers, searching for worms in the grass.


Lots of birdsong, and as I watched a couple of Canada Geese, (I didn't notice until I looked at the video that one appears to be eating a fish), I heard my first Chiffchaff of the year. First of many, hopefully.

Still some Wigeon around, along with some Tufted Duck.
Not much on the arm that goes behind the pub, and as I made my way towards the pub, a quick view of the pair of Oystercatchers before they took to the air, disturbed by the rowing club opening shop for the day.


A few Mallards flew over for some seed before I headed towards the south lake.



Another first for the year ............. Cowslip.





Looking amongst the grass, beside the edge of the lake, I could see masses of them, pushing through. Hopefully it won't get mowed before they have finished flowering.
Lots of Blackthorn in flower now too.





At the far end of the lake, I managed to see in the distance, a pair of Great Crested Grebes performing their weed dance. Another first for the year.


A couple of Redwing in the trees, as I made my way to feed the Robin, but no sign of any Pochard today. Maybe they've left.


Past the rowing club, and they were getting ready for a days boating, as I was getting ready to go home.




 Mallards




A great visit today. 









Full list of today's sightings



Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Eurasian Oystercatcher [sp] (Haematopus ostralegus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  30



6 comments:

  1. It was a good walk this morning. Weed dancers already it is definitely spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Keith... The Grebes look like a couple of cartoon characters doing the weed dance. Too funny.: )
    Lovely that your seeing Spring flowers and the landscape covered in Cowslips should be spectacular. The only slips around here will be me on the ice and snow. LOL

    Hugs
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Adrian. The Grebes have been at it for a while now; this was the first time this year I've managed to catch them on camera.

    Thank you Grace. The countryside is gradually bursting into flower now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on getting the 'Weed Dance' and the first Chiffy Keith.
    Those Cowslips are a welcome sight as well..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring has sprung for you there Keith...the birds look so fresh and ready to get busy with the breeding season...Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Roy. I never tire of seeing the weed dance; a true nature spectacle.

    Thank you Sondra. The signs of spring get stronger every day.

    ReplyDelete