Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 31 August 2014

Shades of Autumn



My second visit here since coming back from Wales, but my first post.





The lake is slowly changing, as it slips through the year, and heads towards autumn.
A lot of the summer birds have gone, or are starting to head away, although I did hear a couple of Chiffchaffs calling, saw one flitting through the trees, and a single Reed Warbler.


A group of Mallards quickly found me once I was under the road bridge; good job I remembered some seed.


Up by the bandstand, a group of Long Tailed Tits were flitting through the trees, to the background sounds of Canada Geese, getting ready to depart the lake.
A young Heron was oblivious to everything, except hunting for his breakfast.







At the top end of the north lake, and by the weir, a couple of Kingfishers were quickly flashing past along the river, but I did manage to get a couple of shots of a Reed Warbler.





Thought they'd be long gone by now.



A group of Starlings were on the sails of the windmill at the pub, a couple of Pied Wagtails on the grass, and some Cormorants drying their wings on the boat jetty.
And the Mallards caught me again.


On to the south lake, and I noticed quite a few Common Terns flying around. Adults, as well as juveniles. Numbers of Black-headed Gulls are building up too.

A lone Stock Dove was foraging in the grass at the side of the footpath, but soon left before I could get a picture.




A parting shot.




I left some seed for the Robin at the far end of the lake, and made my way towards the rowing club.

A Chiffchaff was hiding amongst the bushes, only occasionally showing himself, and more Common Terns were flying overhead.


A small group of House Martins were circling above the houses as I passed them, and a couple of willy fungus were growing under some bushes.





Back past the island, and the Little Egret was still in the trees.


Not a bad morning.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~









Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Stock Pigeon [sp] (Columba oenas)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
House Martin [sp] (Delichon urbicum)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Eurasian Reed Warbler [sp] (Acrocephalus scirpaceus)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
British Jay (Garrulus glandarius rufitergum)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)

Total species  31




7 comments:

  1. I can def see the color change in your trees. Glad some of the summer birds hung around for photos! The fungus shot had me wondering at first...when I scrolled down and could only see the top of it... I thought snowy owl...lol Its a great looking fungus for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks peaceful and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sondra. The seasons are definitely slowly moving on here now. Cool mornings and evenings. Should start seeing some of the migrants soon.

    It certainly was Wilma. A lovely morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As with the other seasons I think Autumn is about 6 weeks early Keith.
    There is a definite feel about everything, birds migrating etc. that makes me think that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly feels like Autumn this morning Roy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent Keith.
    I'd forgotten how much I enjoy your Caldecote wanders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Adrian.
    I've noticed a difference in the lake while I've been away.

    ReplyDelete