Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 9 May 2014

Great Crested Grebes and the trim track








A quick visit to the lake yesterday, found a pair of Great Crested Grebes that have nested in a rather precarious place. Next to a public footpath.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






My guess is they are first timers at this nesting business. I watched them a couple of weeks ago, performing their weed dance, and had hoped they would nest somewhere sensible.
Alas, no. They have already lost one egg over the past weekend.


Whilst I was there, I had a quick wander to the far end of the south lake, and I must admit I was rather surprised to see some construction work going on, of some fitness equipment. Especially as it is so close to the so called 'Conservation Area'.







But back to the Great Crested Grebes.



When I got home, I sent a quick e-mail to the Parks Trust.



As someone who walks round the lake on a regular basis, and enjoys the flora and fauna of the area, I am writing on behalf of some of the dog walkers and residents regarding a pair of Great Crested Grebes, that have decided to nest in front of the houses in Monellan Crescent.
The nest had an egg over the weekend, which disappeared; and this morning there is another egg.
It seems in a very vulnerable position, so close to the footpath, and we were wondering if it would be possible to erect a temporary fence around it, to minimise any possible future disturbance.
I have seen this done very effectively in parks in north Wales. 
We appreciate the financial cost involved, but we feel sure the goodwill gesture would be worth it; and also boost the kudos of The Parks Trust.
Hopefully some money is left to do this, after the recent erecting of the 'fitness' areas on the south lake, around the 'conservation area'.


Thank you for taking the time to read this.



A few minutes later, I did receive a reply.



Thank you for your e-mail. I have passed it on to our biodiversity officer, Martin Kincaid who will contact you in due course. The trim trail equipment has been supplied, installed and paid for by Walton Parish Council, not The Parks Trust.
Kind regards
Briony

Briony Fox
Head of Community Engagement


Well, I went out later to visit my mum, and hoped for a reply by the time I got home.

Nothing.


This morning I took a quick walk over the lake, to see how the Grebes are doing.






One of them is sitting tight on the nest. I'm guessing the incubation period has begun.









I do hope these beautiful birds are successful; but I doubt it very much.
Incubation of the eggs takes 25-29 days.
Let's hope they can last that long.



To date, I've still heard nothing more from The Parks Trust



On the way back to the car this morning though, I did notice that some grass cutting had been done.



Keep safe


8 comments:

  1. I feel knackered just looking at all the torture equipment. Looks as if it has cost a bob or two.
    The Grebes are going to need their fair share of good luck and some.
    Martin Kincaid is probably sitting in committee trying to work out a solution to this problem. Just tell him it needs a fence or twenty four our security.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know where my council tax money is going Adrian. I must try and make use of all this equipment next time I walk round the lake. Make the effort to get my moneys worth.
    Maybe the gentleman is too busy planning the next bout of habitat destruction?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith, perhaps they're hoping to get some fit birds around the lake?

    Sorry to say but I don't hold out much hope for those Grebes. However, it would be good PR for the Parks Trust if they managed to pull their finger out and put up some sort of protection for them...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fit birds? Now there's a thought.
    Tend to agree about the PR. A point I made in the e-mail, but I doubt it will happen.
    I wonder when the candyfloss stall will appear, and the tea wagon?
    The bottom end of the south lake could even take a few fairground rides.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weird to have that equipment located so far from everything else? It looks out of place for sure. Hope the pair have luck with the egg...its not a good location for sure. Awesome video of the proud parents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sondra, this is a weird place at times when the humans put their minds to it.

    An update on the nest.: I visited late in the day again, and the wind making the water very choppy and wavy, had sadly destroyed the nest. I hope they choose a better place to nest if they attempt again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great birds aren't they, wonderful to keep eye open.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bob, they are beautiful aren't they.

    ReplyDelete