Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 13 April 2014

Cetti's and first Reed Warbler



A beautiful sunny start to the day.


The birds were all in fine voice this morning as I made my way round the lake.
Spent some time looking at a Blackcap in a tree, and wondered if the song I could hear close by was that of a Garden Warbler. They do sound very similar, and the male Blackcap didn't seem too bothered by the singing.

I did fleetingly see the Cetti's Warbler again, and heard my first Reed Warbler here this year. Very difficult to see today though.


I did get some good views of a Magpie though.




He seemed quite happy sitting in the sun.



We've still got the daisy carpet in front of the pub; but I fear that will all change this coming week, once the Parks Trust send out the mower men.





The female Mallard still has 3 of her ducklings, and a Buzzard was soaring over the car park as I finished my walk.


No video today. I did do one; too long. I re edited it but it was still too long to be able to upload to YouTube within the hour I have at the moment, so that's it. Not cutting it down anymore, can't be arsed.


Quick one today. Computer doctor coming later.






Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Buzzard [sp] (Buteo buteo)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
House Martin [sp] (Delichon urbicum)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Cetti's Warbler [sp] (Cettia cetti)
Blackcap [sp] (Sylvia atricapilla)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)


Total species  30


4 comments:

  1. Cracking shot of the Magpie Keith.
    I hope you're back to full video operating capacity before too long!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful Magpie.
    Ask the computer man about Arctic Paste. It keeps my laptop cool.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...an awesome shot of the magpie Keith!! Computer probs are annoying to say the least!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trev, the Magpie was a real star. Even performed on the video, chuntering away. I may well post that bit sometime.

    He was a star Adrian. Computer seems to be OK after going under the surgeons hand.

    Thanks Sondra. I think ......... hope ......... all's well with mine now.

    ReplyDelete