Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 12 April 2014

Cetti's again



Cloudy start to the day, but two Little Egrets flying overhead brightened it up straight away.


It could only get better ........... and it did.


A pair of Mute Swans were busily adding the finishing touches to their nest in the reeds; same place as last year, when the piping sound of Oystercatchers caught my attention. Two flying overhead, accompanied to the sound of a Cetti's Warbler deep in the bushes.


I had to get some pictures.




This was going to be a challenge



He kept moving from bush to bush, and as I followed and got close, he'd move on again.

I spent about an hour, searching for this noisy little bugger. Every time I thought I had him, he'd disappear. It's easier winning the lottery, than getting pictures of this rascal.

He flew off across the water, and settled in a favoured tree, and began calling again.




I must get something better.



I walked around to where he was.


Finally I did manage a few, before he went off to hide again.



Very under exposed; but then ...............






 ........... at last. Something half decent.





As I left to go towards the pub, two Swallows flew overhead, and dropped down towards the water.



Past the pub, and it's looking rather nice in front of it.




The grass is covered in daisies.



Make the most of it though, before the Parks Trust send in the mowers.



At the far end of the south lake, by the bird hide, someone had left a bag of their dogs shit. Why people take the time to bag it up, and then just leave it somewhere, is beyond me. Especially when there is a bin not far; and they're probably going to walk past it anyway.



No sign of the Robin, but I left him seed anyway, and carried on along the path by the rowing club. Being a weekend, a few boats were out, and the Oystercatchers were flying overhead again, piping as they went.


Round past the houses, and a couple of House Martins were circling overhead.
Good to see them back again.


My first ducklings I've seen this year were swimming around with mum, in front of the houses. Three altogether, but someone had told me earlier he'd seen a yellow one with her a couple of days ago.

Not today; dinner for a Pike maybe?



And to round of a great morning, a pair of Great Crested Grebes were performing their weed dance.






It don't get much better than this.












Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Eurasian Oystercatcher [sp] (Haematopus ostralegus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
House Martin [sp] (Delichon urbicum)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Cetti's Warbler [sp] (Cettia cetti)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita)
Willow Warbler [sp] (Phylloscopus trochilus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)


Total species  32



6 comments:

  1. Well well well, you caught the the Cetti's Warblers, I never had the pleasure, damn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Bob. Took some doing, but I got there eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Keith you got that elusive Cetti's at last, perseverance paid in the end!
    Stunning sight to see those Daisies, but not for long I suspect?
    Super shots of the Grebes doing their thing....[;o)

    I reckon those bags of dog shit are left as some sort statement.."look what my dog did...and I'm too proud to carry it to the bin".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Trev. That Cetti's was in the same area, so perseverance paid off in the end. Still not perfect yet, but my best so far.
    I'm told the mowers are in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A grand trip round. It amazes me that folk leave bags of dog crap around. I put it in my pocket or in woodland just hit it with a stick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Adrian. Yea the dog crap is a mystery to me. Why go to the trouble to bag it up, then leave it?

    ReplyDelete