Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 19 January 2014

Correction to yesterdays Scaup



After the initial excitement of what I thought was a Scaup when I first saw the bird amongst the group of Tufted Duck, I checked through various books I have and online.

Greater Scaup was begining to be ruled out. Was it a Lesser Scaup?
The number of dodgy pictures I had kept nudging me away from Greater, and nearer to Lesser.
The head colour for one, and the small 'peak' on the head.
The size didn't fit though.
Was it a hybrid? A cross between a Tufted and something else?


More checking with what I had at hand, and then I put a couple of pictures on Twitter.


After some scrutiny via the medium of Twitter, by others that are far better birders than myself, the general consensus came back that is was a hybrid.








A male, Tufted x Pochard.



A big thank you to all the people on Twitter that took the time to look and help out with the ID.


I think birds should wear name badges.






4 comments:

  1. I know it shouldn't but it cheers me up to see you getting confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, this little bugger certainly had me wondering Adrian. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never mind. Yes, they should be make a badge, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be a great idea wouldn't it Bob. :-)

    ReplyDelete