Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 25 December 2013

Goosander and some flooding



A cold start to the morning, but the sun soon had it looking like summer; almost.



I could hear the gulls over on the south lake, as they began leaving the roost; but I headed off to the north first. A small population of gulls were out on the water there too, mostly Black-headed Gulls.
The Mallards soon spotted me, and flew over.
This time they had bread and seed. Well, it's Christmas ain't it.


Under the footbridge, the Grey Heron was patiently waiting for unsuspecting fish to come near enough for a snack, and a Little Grebe hastily scurried across the water to the safety of the reeds.
No sign of any Little Egrets this morning though.


As I crossed the bridge, and carried on, another Heron flew over to the bank, and began eyeing up another, that was perched near the edge.
I thought maybe a conflict would happen, but in the end, one just flew to another part of the lake. The sensible thing to do.


Past the wall of the dam, and a few Black-headed Gulls, and then on towards the weir.
The river has burst over its banks, and started to flood the surrounding fields.





I made my way down towards the gully, but it is a gully no more.
The water has filled it in, and is level with the lake. At least no birds will be stuck there for a while.


A quick scan of the water, found plenty of Coots, a couple of Gadwall, and surprisingly, no Wigeon.
Then, over in the distance I saw three Goosander. The male was still with the two females.
I hung around for a while, hoping they would move a bit closer, and into the sunlight.
Eventually, they did.




Inevitably though, as soon as they saw me, they began heading to the far side.
I did manage to see a fleeting glimpse of a Kingfisher though, while I was waiting.



Past the pub, and then on towards the south lake.


The river that runs alongside the lake had flooded over its banks here too, and at the far end, where the footbridge is, I got a better view of the flooding.




No gulls on the far end, so I made my way to where the Robin is.
He found me before I found him.
A few handfuls of seed, and some bread, and I was soon passing the rowing club.


Up in the trees were a few Redwing, and as I started to throw some more bread out on the water, a gang of gulls soon appeared.





Past the houses, and some more bread, which attracted a few bigger gulls.



I think maybe a juvenile Herring Gull; but I could be wrong.

I think next year I will make a bigger effort to ID these birds, and try to increase my knowledge.



A quick look at the footbridge by the car park, before heading home, and a parting shot of a seasonal bird ........... sans snow.





Enjoy the rest of your day.






Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Feral Pigeon (Columba livia 'feral')
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Jay (Garrulus glandarius rufitergum)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)


Total species 31


8 comments:

  1. A couple of days ago we were watching goosander on the Tyne that were having real trouble swimming against the floodwater current and yesterday the river Wear in Durham looked like brown Windsor soup and the cormorants had given up and gone to roost - it must be tough for birds to catch fish in turbid floodwater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely birds, have a nice one Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's some mighty fine light you've got there, Keith.
    All the best, Graeme

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent and the place to yourself.
    Even the widgeon are away to pastures new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love that sunshine! Great pics of the goosander.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The floods are terrible for all the wildlife Phil. The recent storm down the east coast almost wiped out the Hare population on Havergate island, the salt water kills off a lot of the worms other animals rely on ....... a lot more damage done than we first think of.

    Thanks Bob.

    Graeme, it was a perfect morning.

    Cheers Adrian. I did see a few folk after a couple of hours ......... but no boats!

    Thanks Wilma. Yea, good to see the sun after all the rain we've had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The weather really suits me Keith... a bit of frost is OK snow and ice I can do without.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea, I don't mind the cold either Andrew. I'm not too good when it gets too hot though.

    ReplyDelete