Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Monday, 23 December 2013

3 Goosander, 3 Little Egret and escape from the bird trap.



A quick visit just round the north lake today; the weather guessers are saying we have a lot of rain coming and strong winds. Bye bye fence then.


I wasn't greeted by the usual gang of Mallards at first, and I was beginning to wonder where they were. They soon turned up eventually though, so after feeding them I could happily go on my way.


Spots of rain were beginning to fall as I made my way towards the footbridge up by the bandstand. The Grey Heron was in his usual place, fishing successfully, but three Little Egrets were more interested in chasing each other around. They finally settled over in the reeds.


The work on the pub seems to have stopped for the holiday period, so I guess they'll be back in the new year.





Another Heron stood alongside one of the new fishing signs.

The right side.



(a screen grab from the video; he wouldn't stay long enough for a picture by camera)

Seems his understanding of the language is better than some of the Eastern European  poachers that visit here.



The arm at the top end had the usual Coots, Wigeon, Tufted Duck and Gadwall, and then I spotted 3 Goosander. Two females, and one male.

Down towards the gully, and I noticed the river was beginning to spill over the bank. A good sign for the gully prisoners maybe?
Yes! No sign of the stranded cygnet, so hopefully he can spend Christmas with his family now.

A small flock of Canada Geese flew overhead, and I was soon making my way to the road bridge.



By now the wind was increasing, and so was the rain.



Time to go.








Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)


Total species  25



Update on the wind:

As I do this, the first fence panel has left a post.
Bollocks!




7 comments:

  1. Whats the saying? It's good weather for the ducks!...if those Mallards, and the rest, have got any sense they'll be well hunkered down and safe from the wind just now! At least they've had their breakfast!
    Nice to see the gully was clear of captives.
    I hope you don't get too much fence damage....stay safe...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this wind gets any worse Trev, I think I'll dive under the duvet and say sod it!
    Pretty grim out there at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It isn't too bad up here. The rain has stopped but I daren't risk a camera to show the waves.
    Another good walk and talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't appreciate that Herons could read Fishing Signs Keith.{:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Adrian. Still pretty grim here. I've shut the curtains and going to watch a film later. I'll inspect the damage in the morning.

    Thanks Roy. Yea, one of the benefits of having the OU just down the road. Education is a wonderful thing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha, fishing, a Heron, it made me roll over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bob. It certainly made me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete