Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 29 December 2013

10 Goosander and a Barnacle Goose



A sunny, and frosty morning; perfect.



I fed the Crows and Magpies with their digestive biscuits, and then headed off to the north lake.
Passing under the road bridge, I saw the electric blue flash of a Kingfisher, as he swept past towards the reeds.
A small group of Mallards soon turned up, and after feeding them, I carried on up towards the footbridge.
No sign of the Grey Heron there this morning, but in the cut of water that runs into the lake, 3 Goosander were happily swimming around.


Along the wall of the dam, quite a large number of Black-headed Gulls, and one or two Common Gulls in the water. Behind the wall, a Grey Wagtail was seeking out any insects that were around.



On the arm of the lake behind the pub, 7 more Goosander were amongst the Coots and Wigeon.




Four of them




The gully had no prisoners today, so I carried on round, so the sun was behind me, to get a better look at the Goosander.




Seven of the 10




Plenty of Greylags and Canada Geese were taking to the air by now, and I began searching through them for another goose.


 Canada Goose






 Greylag Geese



A couple of days ago I walked behind the lake, and by some fields, A group of Greylags were feeding, and amongst them was a Barnacle Goose.
Would he be here with these?
Yes!




Barnacle Goose



After a few more pictures, he left to join the rest of the gaggle.




I rather like this one. Not pin sharp, but it has a few of the Goosanders in the frame too.




I carried on round past the pub; some more Mallard feeding, and then onto the south lake.



At the far end, a small group of mixed gulls, and then on to where the Robin hangs out.
After feeding him, I set off towards the boat club.
Another Kingfisher swept past, and a Little Grebe quickly dived and disappeared.
Oh well, pictures another time maybe.

Past the houses, and the group of Coots, and a small number of Pochard.



A good morning.







Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Barnacle Goose (Branta leucopsis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)


Total species  37


9 comments:

  1. Hi Keith. That was a lovely morning for a walk around the lake even through it was frosty at first. the light Xmas lovely to take shots and I very much enjoyed the video. Although I have seen your previous post I have not watched the video as yet a the family have allays been around. but this afternoon I opted to say put so I will be able to watch it in peace!! Was out this morning for a walk and it was frosty here in Surrey . Although I have been evading blogs I had a break from posting and I am glad auto it that. I would not have had time s I was with the family and new pup!! May I wish you a very HAPPY NEW YEAR and I hope you have a great time birding in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The welcome sunshine made for some lovely light and those cracking shots, especially the ones of the flying geese, this morning Keith. Nice to see the Goosanders out in force too...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Margaret. It's good to take a break from it all at times.
    Have a great 2014.

    Cheers Trevor. Yea, a great morning at the lake. Glad I found Barnacle Bill too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great morning, It was cool here but I've lost my gloves. Thanks for the video. Your videos are something I strive to emulate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of good sightings Keith. The Grey Wag was nice and they are few and far between now. I wonder if that Barnacle is the same one we get just occasionally that hangs out with Greylag. Although we haven't seen it for a while now.(over 12 months ago.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Roy. It could quite possibly be the same Barnacle. These Greylags do seem to wander a fair bit at times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice collection you have, Barnacle Geese, Goosanders and many more, makes it a great new year.

    ReplyDelete