Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Tuesday, 26 November 2013

Sunrise and Goosander



A chilly start to the morning, the temperature was registering -2C, a frost, but clear skies.



Weather forecast out the way, I decided on walking down to the field off the south lake first, to hopefully get some pictures of the sunrise.
A large gull roost was slowly waking up in the early light. Why do they always seem to congregate on the opposite side to where I walk?


I noticed in one of the houses by the side of the lake, they had their flashing Christmas tree in the window, for us all to admire.
Not a Christmas person myself, so I was not impressed.


A quick look at the gull roost from the bottom of the lake, and then I headed into the field for the sunrise.




Not bad.


I eventually left the sun climbing the sky, and made my way towards the north lake.


A group of Canada Geese, backs glistening with last nights frost, were grazing at the side of the footpath. A few Long Tailed Tits hurried through the trees, and groups of Cormorant were flying overhead.

Under the road bridge, and a group of Mallards decided now is the time of year to  accost me for food.
Three times I stopped to feed them, but they still followed me as I made my way past the pub.





At the far end, I had the sun in the right place, so I took a few shots of the birds on the water.



Wigeon




 Coot



A curious Mallard began steaming closer, no doubt thinking I had food.





Of course, this attracted the attention of one of the Mute Swans.





As I crouched low, with an aching knee, a male Goosander flew in.


Something I noticed this morning, he spent a lot of time swimming along with his head submerged under the water.




Looking for fish I imagine.



After spending some time crouched low, and my knee screaming at me to get up, I decided to continue on my way.
I hate this getting old nonsense, along with all the aches and pains that accompany it.



Up towards Kingfisher island,




a lone Grey Heron stood on the bank, backlit by the sun.





Yesterday, over by the reeds on the far side, two Little Egrets were fishing; but today, just three Grey Herons.


Some new 'no fishing' signs were going up this morning. A shame they are not in Polish for our European poachers to understand.


Under the bandstand the remnants of a log fire, lit by the local muppets. What a shame they didn't set themselves alight.

The reed mace along the edge of the lake, or whatever it is called by people that know these things, was looking splendid, backlit by the sun.





Under the footbridge, the Heron sat waiting for me to pass, but decided on leaving before I could get a half decent picture.
The sun was warming the air slowly by now, as I continued along the path towards the car park.





Another beautiful morning.








Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)


Total species  29



16 comments:

  1. Beautiful scenes and images from this morning Keith. After seeing the forecast last night saying it was going to be a sunny morning I had everything ready and fully intended to make the trip up there.....unfortunately, as seems to be the trend these days, the duvet won yet again!
    I didn't realise that the Gull roost was that big, I'm surprised that none of the grownups watch it?
    Nice Christmas tree btw....lol!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame you didn't come down Trev. A cracking morning.
    The gull roost is usually bigger than it was this morning; the whole of the south lake.
    The grownups miss out on a lot here; their loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots ! I love the heron beside his tree with this wonderful light on them. And the autumn colors are delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Pescalune. I had a great morning here, so peaceful in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful light in your post today...happy to see the sun sure havent seen it here lately...BUT -2 sounds pretty cold to me!!! Christmas is way over rated I do think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sondra, it was magical.
    Have to agree about Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Keith. Great walk you had this morning. lovely first shot of sunrise and great close ups of ducks. I loved the video from dark to sun up Nd lovely Bullfinch but could make out the Green Woodpecker on video. Wish we had those here. You certainly have a large Gull root on the lake.The back,lite Heron was lovely also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning light this morning.
    I've been thinking of getting some of those trousers that plumbers wear with knee pads built in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Margaret. It's a lake that always delivers, with some amazing birds.

    Adrian, the light was perfect. Good idea with the trousers. I use one of those foam kneeling pads when I'm gardening sometimes. Might chuck it in the shopping trolley so it's always there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Twas similar temp here on Tuesday. Sign of things to come.
    The Goosander was having a good look in the water.
    Have you managed to glimpse the comet just before Sunrise Keith? There is always cloud to the East here so I have no chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had a lot more sun than we did Keith, grey and overcast here all day and the day before.
    Yes I have seen Goosanders do that, I think its fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. John, the few clear days we've had here I've searched for the comet, but failed to see it so far.

    Roy, the sun didn't last. Back to grey skies now.
    It was interesting watching that Goosander.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant sets, especially the first, it is super superb.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Bob. It was worth getting up early for.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos - some of your best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Wilma. The sun certainly helped. :-)

    ReplyDelete