Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Great White Egret and Goosander



A beautiful start to the morning; a light frost, crisp, cool and sunshine.



I headed towards the pub first, to see how things are coming along with the extension.




Scaffolding is up, and the roof sections look like they are taking shape; but not a great deal to see now.







There was a rather splendid sunrise to see though. Just a shame I couldn't get in a decent spot for some pictures.





The top arm of the lake had a few Tufted Duck and Wigeon, and Cormorants were sitting wing drying on the old boat that floats here.


I met a dog walker I see quite often, and he informed me that two male Goosander were on here on Sunday. I had a feeling they would be turning up about now. A shame I didn't see them myself.
Later in the morning someone else told me of two he had seen on the south lake earlier this morning; about the time I was looking at the pub extension. Bugger!


A pair of Mallards were busily mating up by the wall of the dam, and a Grey Heron was under the footbridge, just past the bandstand.
Quite a few Cormorants busily fishing, and some Wigeon scattered around the lake.


As I reached the road bridge, I noticed there are some new signs, to let people know where they are. A shame there isn't one advising cyclists to ring their bell as they approach people walking. Twice I was nearly run over.
They'll be wearing their Alien hats somewhere else if we ever make contact.



I crossed over the road bridge, to make my way down the south lake; the way I would normally be going.


A lone Common Gull was pretending to be rain, by stamping his feet on the ground, to hopefully bring the worms to the surface.





Never usually much to see this side of the lake in the winter, but a large bird caught my eye as I walked down the path towards a big group of Canada Geese.
A Great White Egret. The first I have seen here, although others have claimed to see them flying over.
And further along the path, coming towards me, a bunch of joggers.
Don't they know it's not a weekend?


The bottom end of the lake, more new signs. Must be a surplus of money in the coffers at the Parks Trust.
The leaves on the trees are turning some beautiful colours now, and quite a few of them are beginning to fall to the ground.




Everywhere is looking so colourful.



Towards the rowing club, a lot of gulls out on the water and on the boat jetties.




Mute Swans, Coots and Mallards, but no Goosander for me unfortunately.



Across the lake I could see the pub, and a rather large crane had appeared.




I guess this was to lift the roof parts into place.



As I passed Cormorant island, I could see a Cormorant wrestling with what looked like a large fish. I watched him for some time 'playing' with it, until I realised it wasn't a fish, but a large feather.




Maybe he was practicing with it.



Just off from the island was a group of Tufted Duck, and amongst them, a few Pochard.




A pleasant walk in the sun.









Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Great Egret [sp] (Ardea alba)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
British Jay (Garrulus glandarius rufitergum)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)



Total species  34


15 comments:

  1. Cant wait to see the Goosander's again...when you said you saw a large crane Of course I was thinking Whoopin Crane :o) then I looked at the photo. That sunshine looks awesome...and so do your shots of this day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sondra. I'm looking forward to seeing them too. Really nice birds.
    The crane, yea, would have been good to see a Whoopin Crane. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith ... The Cormorant with the weather is comical and even more comical on video giving it a shake!!
    Wonder what that was all about!! : )
    Beautiful morning there at the lake the colors are lovely !!

    Hugs
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith. How you get to seethe Great Egret and are Ble to photograph it. Lovely morning for a walk and the sunrise with the windmill was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Cormorant had me fooled for a while Grace, I really thought he had a fish.
    The lake was looking splendid this morning.

    Margaret, I almost missed the GWE. By the time I got the binoculars on it, it was too far away for decent pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lake was quite a picture under the Sunrise - Almost a Turner type scene.
    I've seen House Sparrows behaving like the Cormorant with the feather. They seem to 'play' with it for a while and then leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning colours around the lake in the glorious sunshine this morning Keith. Some cracking birds too. The Goosander have had a look see, so will be back soon. It's a shame you didn't get close to the GWE hopefully that will be back too! (it/one was seen at Calvert later in the day)
    Interesting to see the Cormorant at play!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The G/Egret was a good spot Keith. The Cormorant was doing a bit of dusting.{:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks John. Yea, it was a lovely morning. The sun made such a difference. The feather behaviour was fascinating to watch.

    Cheers Trevor. I think the GWE was the one seen later at Calvert; it was heading that way.

    Roy, that Cormorant was playing with the feather for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely sunrise photo. You must have been excited to see the GWE! I like Roy's comment about the cormorant...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Wilma. The GWE was a real treat on a sunny day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a great day yesterday. You have done it justice.
    Sorry for the delay in replying. I had a fall on the ice and I'm a bit sore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Adrian.
    Hope you're feeling better. Quite a shock to the system when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I finally came back to blogger for a look around. Great post as usual. I even planted a post on my own blog again after months of not posting anything. Perhaps I will get back into the swing of things and follow your example :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Dale, good to see you back.
    I quite often take a break from blogging at the moment.

    ReplyDelete