Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 22 November 2013

Goosander and Siskin


A beautiful sunny morning, with a nip in the air.


Went the usual way round this morning, and as I passed under the road bridge, a male Goosander flew towards the south lake. A good start.
Didn't get him on camera though.


Up towards the footbridge approaching the bandstand, a Little Egret flew around, being pursued by some Black-headed Gulls. A Kingfisher flew by with a small fish.
Didn't get them on camera though.


Further along, another Kingfisher, and as I raised the camera, he flew off.
I did manage to get a bit of him on video eventually.


At the top end of the lake, on the arm behind the pub, the usual gathering of Wigeon



and Tufted Duck. A few Cormorants loafing around on the boat, and Greylag




and Canada Geese tooing and frowing in the sunshine.


As I carried on towards the pub, the male Goosander flew overhead and looked as though it would settle where I'd just left.
I had to go back and catch it on camera this time.


Finally, I had him.



Up towards the pub, and they're cracking on with the extension now.


Finished by Christmas I should think.




A small flock of Lapwing flew overhead, looking stunning in the sunlight and against the blue sky.


South lake beckoned, and one of the Crows soon found my discarded apple core.


At the bottom end, quite a few Black-headed Gulls were bobbing on the water, along with a couple of Common Gulls, and over on the far side a quick glimpse of one of the Little Grebes as he swam by the reeds.


Towards the offices, and a couple of Siskin flew up into one of the distant trees.
Too far for decent pictures, so I carried on towards the area where the Robin usually is.
He didn't disappoint, and soon came down when I put some seed out for him.



Just off from the rowing club, a mixed flock of gulls were out on the water and the buoys, and as I got to the big houses, out on the bay of water in front, a couple of Pochard




were with the Coots, Tufted Duck and gulls.
And another male Goosander; or perhaps the same one from the north lake flown down again.




As I made my way alongside the island, I could see a few more Wigeon, and a small flock of Teal.



A quick look around the footbridge by the car park, and amongst the various birds were some Blue Tits, Great Tits,





Reed Buntings,



Goldfinches, Greenfinches and a few Redwing.




Seems the winter visitors are beginning to turn up now.









Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Common Teal [sp] (Anas crecca)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Eurasian Sparrowhawk [sp] (Accipiter nisus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)


Total species  45


13 comments:

  1. Best video for ages. You got the Goosander. I hope they are back on the Tees the week after this. I notice from the list a Sparrow Hawk. I used to see two a day but I have yet to spot one or any of the raptors in Derbyshire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Adrian. The Goosanders have eluded me for a week or so, so it was good to finally catch up with them today. I imagine they will be turning up in numbers pretty soon. Hope you get to see them on the Tees, they're stunning birds.
    Sadly a lot of raptors are still persecuted by some of the shooting fraternity. They mistakenly believe they take a lot of Pheasant. There's more Pheasant succumb to vehicles than any raptor would take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great set of images and video Keith, even if the old reflexes are slowing down a bit...lol!

    The 'stock' on the lake is building quite nicely now, good to see the Goosander(s) are back, Smew and GND would be nice!

    I bet they've already sold those new hotel rooms for Christmas, you could book in for a festive break!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you two see a Great Northern Diver then I will chuck the towel in. I have seen them but have spent a tank of diesel. I bet you haven't seen the red breasted one.

      Delete
    2. Aaaahh, yes; The Great Northern Diver. Let me see, that was the winter 2011/12 here. Must be due another soon. The Red Throated Diver wasn't here though; I saw that one off Talacre beach in April, this year. :-)

      Delete
  4. Trev, the lake was looking good this morning. At one point I thought I did see a Smew, (possible Smew etc. etc.), but it turned out to be a Black-headed Gull bobbing in the water in the distance.
    Can you imagine me doing Christmas? That'll be a novelty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keith. Well your perseverance paid off as you eventually saw the Goosander. great shots of it and the other birds but I especially liked the video with the geese and the sound they make. have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margaret, this lake is like a magnet for Goosander this time of the year. Smashing birds.
    Geese are one of my favourites, especially when they make all that noise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, you shot the Goosander, lovely bird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your photos and wow, no snow. Looks like you are having great weather. Here in Edmonton Alberta, Canada it has been snowing for the last week. I think we have had 3 feet of snow so far. Have a great weekend and keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Bob. I finally got him. :-)

    It's cold Horst, but no snow yet. I think 3' of snow would bring our country to a standstill. We just can't cope here lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Missing everything - I have a lot of days like that Keith, just in the wrong place at the wrong time etc. Yesterday was one of those days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think my reflexes are as sharp as they used to be Roy lol

    ReplyDelete