Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 5 October 2013

Back again



Well, I did visit yesterday, got a quarter way round, and got soaked; so I turned back. Needless to say, once I'd got home, the rain stopped, and the sun came out.


This morning though, it managed to keep dry.
I took the feeders down before I left for Wales last month. Two had been stolen earlier, and two more just before I went. So whoever was nicking them, you'll have to buy your own bloody feeders now.


Under the road bridge, and the group of Mallards hadn't forgotten me. They were straight there for some seed. I had a little in my pocket, so a couple of handfuls, and I had to make a quick exit before they wanted more.
Nice to be remembered though.


Along the footpath a Migrant Hawker was hawking for insects, and then finally settled so I could snatch a picture.



I've seen quite a few of these this year; far more than any other dragon.



Round towards the bandstand, and quite a group of Cormorants were fishing by the footbridge. They had attracted the attention of a large number of pirates, in the shape of Black-headed Gulls, ready to steal any fish they might catch. A juvenile Grey Heron was sat in the trees watching it all; until I arrived with the camera, and then they all took flight.


Heading towards the dam, and the first of the boat people were slicing through the water, and a few joggers were pounding past on the footpath. Going to be a busy Saturday. Such a contrast to where I've just left.


Round by the pub I counted six Pied Wagtails. Not sure if they were all from the same family or not, and further round, another group. They seem to have done well this year.


Onto the south lake, and a couple of Grey Herons along the bank,



 trying to fish, whilst the boats were noisily going by.


Yea, the little bloke in the back of the boat shouting out his instructions, has an amplified voice now, so we can all hear what he has to say.


No sign of the Robin at the bird hide, but I did hear one singing his little song.
I left him some seed anyway.

Round past the rowing club, and more boats; past the houses and along towards the car park.

A couple of Cormorants flew past,




and a Great Crested Grebe had caught what looked like a Perch.





He had his breakfast, so it was time for mine.










Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)


Total species  22


9 comments:

  1. Welcome back Keith, it's a little bit busier than you've been used to of late? All the usual suspects were still there waiting to greet you though! Nice to see the Migrant Hawker, hopefully they should still be around for another month or so yet.
    ..[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be a bit tame for you Keith after visiting your country retreat in North Wales to come back here.
    Its also the worst time of the year, as all the summer birds have gone and the winter ones haven't turned up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith Great to have you back and joiiningyou for your usual walk around the lake. Loved the shot of the Hawker adn the Grey Heron. I watched the video, note I say 'watched' as the sound on any youtube video on my computer are not working. It is so frustrating. So I missed what you were saying unfortunaltey. It may be think what I would experience if I was totally deaf at least I could still bird watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent video and walk. I miss your films.
    You'll have to borrow a megaphone so you can offer advice to the rowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Trevor. Yea, a nice walk round this morning; apart from the usual weekenders.

    It seemed pretty quiet on the bird front Roy. Hopefully start picking up soon.

    Thanks Margaret. Hope you get your YouTube problem sorted soon.

    Great idea Adrian. I could hide in the bushes and shout 'come in you daft buggers!'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see the face behind the voice Keith.
    It's been pretty good here so far this Autumn for seeing, if not photographing, dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks John. Hope the 'face' wasn't too scary.

    ReplyDelete