Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 4 August 2013

Back for August



My first visit after being away in Wales for a month.


A lovely morning, marred only by a local tosser walking his three dogs off a lead, that decided to chase after a family of Mute Swans up by the rowing club. Thankfully the birds managed to escape into the water in time, even though one dog chased after them into the water.
The tosser didn't seem in the least bothered or concerned.
Maybe the Parks Trust could put a few signs up, reminding people to keep their dogs under control.


(I noticed that the local RSPB North Bucks Group have a field trip round here in November. A 10 a.m. start though)



Ok, the feeders were soon filled, and I began making tracks round the north lake first.
A large dragonfly was flying round the bushes; I'm guessing a Brown Hawker, since I've seen these flying quite early in the past.

It was good to see the Oystercatcher over by the pub, and a few Common Terns flying around.


Further along I came across some droppings.




 I was wondering if they might be from an Otter? (Or maybe someone hasn't cleaned up after their dog).
Looked similar, but larger, to the gifts left by my garden hedgehog.
Not an expert on poo; although I have been known to talk a lot of it at times.


Up on the wall of the dam, a few Black-headed Gulls, and a Common Tern, taking in the sun.





I searched through the long grass looking for butterflies, but only found that my legs were getting wet instead. The boat that floats out on the lake here was empty. Last time I was here, the Common Terns were attempting to nest, yet again. I wonder if they had any luck this year.


Round to the pub, and a few Canada Geese around, and out on the water, and a Great Crested Grebe was carrying two juveniles on its back.





South lake, and the long grass by the edge, held a couple of butterflies.
The first one I found, and videoed, I thought at first was a meadow Brown, but looking at the picture I took, I've decided on a Gatekeeper.





The Small Copper was a much easier ID.





The next one, found in the bushes, I'm plumping for a Small White.





Up by the footbridge, over the river, usually a good spot for a few warblers.
It didn't disappoint this morning, with a juvenile Blackcap, and this juvenile Chiffchaff.





The usual Grey Heron was on guard at the far end, but no sign of my little Robin by the hide. I left him some seed anyway.


Down towards the rowing club, and the aforementioned tosser and his dogs, and then round by the houses. A lone House Martin flew overhead, and a couple of juvenile Grey Herons were having a dispute over who has the fishing rights in the distance.






A couple of Common Terns fishing in front of Cormorant island; and then it was time to head home







Enjoyable morning; and now the gardening head has to go on. Some weeding to do at home.








Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Eurasian Oystercatcher [sp] (Haematopus ostralegus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
House Martin [sp] (Delichon urbicum)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Eurasian Reed Warbler [sp] (Acrocephalus scirpaceus)
Blackcap [sp] (Sylvia atricapilla)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  31




17 comments:

  1. Good to see you back.
    The Lake always has something to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have seen a Small Copper Keith. I have seen none this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Keith...I have missed your awesome postings, I can't help with the poo descript,very wet looking! The shot of the Mother Grebe with her young is priceless... Great color on the butterflies too..the lake is looking good! THE grasses are so tall in the video, hope your weeds arent that big too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Adrian. Yea, it never disappoints.

    Thanks Roy. I haven't seen very many this year. Plenty of 'whites' around though.

    Thanks Sondra. The garden isn't quite so bad lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really nice to have you back again. The pictures are beautiful, but where are the Welsh birds?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bob.
    Welsh birds? They're on my holdingmoments blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back to the lake Keith.
    We've all been eagerly awaiting your return and a resumption of the images and videos of 'our walks' around the lake, but what do we get for the first offering?...two 'crap' pictures!!!...lol.

    I think it looks a bit wet for Otter spraint (am I the only one who was sad enough to Google Otter Spraint Images??)
    Did you sniff it?..it supposedly has a smell that varies from anything between new mown hay to putrid fish!!

    Jealous of the Small Copper, I've not seen one this year(yet?)...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers Trevor. Yea, the crap shots; I googled it too, after I'd posted this. I think it's just a dirty dog. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blimey your garden must be a jungle after a month away, I know if I left my allotment for a week the weeds would lay siege. Not a poo expert either so will leave to others to Id. Welcome back anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers Debs.
    The weeds seem to have done better than the plants. Slowly getting it looking better now though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Keith ...Well we all have been waiting for you to come back to see what's going on at the lake and what to you give us "CRAP" lol!!
    The little cutie on Momma Grebes back is precious AW!!
    I know you love to be in Wales, but do miss your lake visit's and that voice!! : )
    Hugs Grace

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Keith ...Well we all have been waiting for you to come back to see what's going on at the lake and what to you give us "CRAP" lol!!
    The little cutie on Momma Grebes back is precious AW!!
    I know you love to be in Wales, but do miss your lake visit's and that voice!! : )
    Hugs Grace

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI Keith ...Well we all have been waiting for you to come back to see what's going on at the lake and what to you give us "CRAP" lol!!
    The little cutie on Momma Grebes back is precious AW!!
    I know you love to be in Wales, but do miss your lake visit's and that voice!! : )
    Hugs Grace

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI Keith as you can now tell, I am playing catch up on post, backwards!! it gets me mad when I see dog poo on a path. I loved the video and especially the Grebe and her 2 babies.also the lovely butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Grace .... in triplicate. lol
    No idea what's going on with blogger today. It's crap.

    Thanks Margaret. Yea, it was good to see a few butterflies around today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely post Keith.
    I have never seen a Small Copper...
    Wildlife Poo?...Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Andrew. A Small Copper with the sunlight on it, looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete