Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 28 June 2013

Wet morning



A lot of rain yesterday afternoon, and the long grass down to the feeders was a bit wet; I got soaked.


A lot of Canada and Greylag Geese were across the lake at the pub this morning. And a small gang of Mallards soon found me under the road bridge. Fed them, and made my way round the north lake.


Good numbers of Swifts overhead, feasting on the insects that were just above the trees. A couple of Common Terns fishing over the water, and a few juvenile Blue Tits calling from the bushes.


Before I got halfway round the north, the rain started. I only had a T-shirt on, so I made a quick decision to just do the north.

Swallows and a few Sand Martins joined the Swifts round the back of the pub, and a single Black-headed Gull on the boat jetty.
As I made my way towards the road bridge, the rain was getting heavier, the Geese were making a dash for the water, and three Grey Wagtails and a couple of Pied Wagtails were along the edge of the footpath.


Short visit, and my last for a while.











Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Swift [sp] (Apus apus)
Sand Martin [sp] (Riparia riparia)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Eurasian Reed Warbler [sp] (Acrocephalus scirpaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)

Total species  24



11 comments:

  1. The big fish, possibly a Carp Keith.
    Those swallows/swifts nearly take your head off when they fly so low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather is awful. At least it's warm.
    You away Wales watching? If so have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Keith Well that turned out to be a bit if a miserable day. Loved the video and the goslings have grown so much since I last saw them. Hope you don't get the cold. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Roy. There's certainly some big ones in there. As I stopped filming, a Coot swam over to investigate it. Shame I stopped.

    Cheers Adrian. Yea, Wales has my upcomming attention.

    Thank you Margaret. Yea, not the best of days to be walking around in a T-shirt lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shark for breakfast I think, lol. You were in a hurry when it started to rain, good job you had supplied for the birds Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Der Da!..Der Da!...Der da!...News Flash!...Jaws spotted in Milton Keynes lake!! I'm going to stay well clear of the edge the next time I visit!...lol.

    Geese and Swifts were in abundance there this morning, good to see the goslings and the Swan families.

    Shame you forgot your coat!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bob. Yea, feeding the birds is always the first job. :-)

    Thanks Trevor. It was certainly a big fish in the lake. I thought it was going to take the curious Coot at one point.
    The rain caught me out this morning. Never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Cygnets are so BIG, Hard to believe...and the new batch of goslings SO very cute.
    hope the rain didnt last too long..have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sondra, those cygnets are growing so fast. They'll be as big as their parents soon.
    No rain today .... so far :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Keith I know you are away at present and hopefully you will be back to blogging soon. I miss you videoed walks.

    Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. Details will be on my post soon today. I hope you will participate when you get back. Have a great day. Margaret

    ReplyDelete