Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Monday, 20 May 2013

It's love




No, not me!



Light spots of rain this morning, so just a quick visit to the north lake.


I've found a pair of Blue Tits that have nested in a hole in a tree, so I guess the pair that have nested in my garden, are not as behind as I first thought. Maybe the birds have adapted to the terrible weather we've had recently, and delayed their breeding times.


Quite a few warblers seen and heard around by the car park this morning. Dawns chorus was in full swing.


Plenty of Swifts over the lake, and plenty of Swallows skimming the surface.
And I soon found a pair of adults with their four cygnets.
Next up was the pair with five, from the top end of the lake.
I was treated to another display of 'back riding'.







Great to see.



A special mention here, for one of the local residents, who yesterday managed to rescue a group of  goslings that had found themselves in one of the gullies, and couldn't get back on the lake. He also built a ramp, to help any other unfortunates that might find themselves in the same position.
Well done Julian.




Up by the pub, a few Mallards flew over for some food, and attracted a couple of Greylag Geese too.


And as I made my way to the road bridge, to cross over to the car park, I found myself witnessing a love ritual, and finally a mating, between two young Mute Swans.

Maybe more cygnets to come?





~~~~~~~~~~~









Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Common Swift [sp] (Apus apus)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Blackcap [sp] (Sylvia atricapilla)
Garden Warbler [sp] (Sylvia borin)
Common Whitethroat [sp] (Sylvia communis)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)

Total species  31


11 comments:

  1. A great video today Keith.
    "Time me to do the same."
    I hope not, interesting as the subsequent video would be I suspect you'd get locked up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Keith!..when that title popped up I thought you were going to hit us with some earth shattering news!! Then I saw the by-line and realised that all was well and you hadn't succumbed to a sudden bought of passion...phew!

    Great shots and video of the Swan families.

    Nice sequence, with all that drawn out messing about, of those loved up Swans?...I can't remember things ever being that involved!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Adrian.
    Hmmm, sometimes I should think a bit more before I speak. :-)

    Trevor, that would be enough to drive me to drink.
    Yea, that foreplay was certainly drawn out, (and I edited it). A wonder he had any energy left at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith The video is priceless with the Swans displaying and mating. I was reading the comments above from Trev, Adrian and yourself. I had a little chuckle to myself, I think you are showing your age and lack of romance!! Shame on all of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Margaret. Romance? I vaguely remember that :-)
    The years and cynicism have taken it away lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Real action packed video Keith.(;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Roy. Nature really provides the action at times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Mute Swan and cygnets, and for some of them, it's easier to be riding in the bright white ocean. I also loved the video, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Bob. It was great to see all these swans and cygnets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, and I thought the Great Crested Grebe weed dance was elegant! I thought that was really beautiful Keith. The cob seemed very gentle, much more so than drake Mallards ever are! Really well done for capturing it. The 'back riding' photos are lovely too.

    Very well done to Julian for what he did at the gully. The powers that be should have foreseen that problem but when I wrote to them about the swan that time they were reluctant to even acknowledge the problem existed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Jan. It was fascinating to watch such an intimate moment like that.
    Yea, it's good to have someone who puts themselves out for the wildlife there.

    ReplyDelete