Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 3 February 2013

Swan trouble




An even quicker visit today.



I wasn't going to bother with a post today as I'm off to Wales tomorrow, and a lot to do today; hence this late post.

Still flooded. It doesn't seem to have gone up or down for a few days, so I guess they've left the plug in for now. Still can't get to the feeders without a boat, so I've left their filling in Trevor's capable hands whilst I'm away.


Before crossing over the road bridge to the south lake, I stopped to feed Doris and co.
I told her to behave herself whilst I'm away, but she seemed more interested in the seed I put down for her.


Windy and cold as I walked towards the far end of the south lake. Some of the water at the edge has frozen, even with the wind whipping the water to the edge.
Bloody cold.


I managed to see a lone female Goosander, and further along with three Tufted Duck, was a female Scaup. No sign of the other seven, so they may have moved on elsewhere. 


So if any local grown ups are looking for the Scaup, I'm afraid you'll have to do some leg work; she's not near the car parks anymore. Still, you'll get to see some of the lake you don't usually see maybe.


At the far end a young Heron played hide and seek for a while, before giving up, and settling in the reeds.
On round to see Robin, and he took a quick snatch from my hand, before I put the seed on the ground for him. A little extra today, because I won't be here for a while.
I just hope he remembers me when I come back.


As I left him, I walked towards the rowing club, and heard a crash.
As I turned to look, I could see one of the lamp posts in the car park of the offices swaying, and a glimpse of something large as it fell to the ground behind the bushes.

I hurried over, fearing the worst.

A Mute Swan cygnet was sat in the empty car park looking rather dazed.
I walked slowly towards him, talking softly as I got nearer.
He seemed OK outwardly, but didn't stand as I got nearer. His breathing was quick and deep.
(Racing through my mind was 'shall I call a rescue place?' I have a couple of numbers stored in my phone.)

Luckily I had some slices of bread in my pocket, and as I got closer, I broke a few pieces off, and offered it to him.
He took them from me, and after a while rose to his feet.
A good sign.

After a few moments he began to walk in the direction of the lake. A couple of gaps in the hedge, thankfully. I didn't fancy trying to carry him.
As he got nearer the lake, an adult male Mute Swan swam over to the edge.
I'm guessing he was the reason for the cygnets crash landing. Chased by an aggressive male, seeing him off from 'his' territory.


I walked towards the male Swan, who started hissing at me.
Yea, obviously the hard man!
Whilst he was busy telling me off, it gave the cygnet a chance to get into the water.

Pretty soon, the male realised what was happening, and left me, to pursue the cygnet.
Thankfully the cygnet made a hasty retreat to the centre of the lake, furiously flapping its wings as the male followed briefly.

It was good to know there were no injuries to the cygnet other than a dent in its pride.

He swam safely away, and eventually made it to a group of other cygnets opposite Cormorant island.



I hadn't seen as many birds as usual, but  an interesting morning.













Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Greater Scaup [sp] (Aythya marila)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)

Total species  27



15 comments:

  1. Have a merry drive to beautiful Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are aggressive birds are swans. Not as bad as Siskins mind. Come to think i am spending an hour a day stopping Mallard males from ripping each other to death.
    It's like being a minder at a teenage dico.
    Have a good run north don't turn left for Wales carry on up the coast to Ravenglass.
    Whatever have a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Bob. :-)

    Cheers Adrian. Birds are certainly aggressive little buggers at times.
    I think the draw of Wales will pull me left; I love it there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith....Well you did your good deed for the day , and I am sure the cygnet appreciated you help : )
    Have a wonder visit to you lovely Wales!!
    Hugs
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Grace. Yea, I do my best :-)
    I'm sure Wales will hold some goodies for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another Mr' Nasty (Mute Swan) Keith.
    Anyway looking forward to your Wales images.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea, those adult males are very nasty Roy. The poor cygnet must have been terrified.
    Looking forward to Wales too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you reach your destination before any snow arrives. Strange weather, freezing one morning and +8C the next here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Keith so glad you were able to help the Cygnet, I wasn't sure I dared read the post when I saw it on my sidebar. Robin, Doris and the others will really miss you while you're away but hopefully they will accept Trevor as your stand in. Will Robin feed from his hand I wonder :-)

    I hope you have a wonderful time in Wales, I'm very envious as always. Have a safe journey....you may be already there of course :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww glad you were able to help the young fellow out of trouble...LIFE is hard sometimes!
    So you're off to Wales, hope you have a wonderful trip...Stay Warm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks John, arrived in sunshine and a breeze; now it's blowing a gale and snowing. lol

    Thanks Jan. Yea, I'm glad I was there when it happened. I felt like a school crossing patrol as it made its way to the lake.
    Arrived in Wales safe, but it's freezing at the moment.

    Sondra, those poor cygnets do have a tough time. Think he was just shocked and scared more than anything else.
    Snow might stop a couple of outings this week; we'll have to see. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder if the adult swan was trying to make it young offspring leave the lake and fend for itself, I have seen this happen on a local water where the three young were forced off by the parents..... getting ready for this years brood.


    peter

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Peter. Yea, I think you're right. There's certainly a lot of adults on this lake with cygnets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't know whether the last comment got published. Anyway, you certainly did your good deed for the day. It looked very cold.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Margaret.
    The first comment arrived as an e-mail notification, but seems to have got lost somewhere. This one arrived OK.
    Thank you for commenting. Yea, it was a bit cold that day :-)

    ReplyDelete