Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Scaup still here, and Goldeneye




First post from here this week, and all the regulars have been about every day.


Doris still ambushes me under the road bridge, and the Robin still waits for his seed.
In between, the female Goldeneye is still here, and the Scaup are still favouring the south lake.
We did have 8 originally, but 4 have left. I visited Willen Lake on Monday, and they have decided to settle there. Good to share.

The weather is still dull, and grey, and not much else of note about the lake.

At home however, I've been invaded by Siskins.
I've counted over 50 in the garden, and added to what is in the trees either side of my small garden, I estimate at least 100. Amazing sight and sound. I'm in the process of putting some video together, which I may post on my  other blog at a later date.











Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Greater Scaup [sp] (Aythya marila)
Common Goldeneye [sp] (Bucephala clangula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)

Total species  29


9 comments:

  1. The weather has taken a turn for the worse here today.
    Still it's good to see I'm not alone.
    I often wonder if the Coots ever drown one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all this damp, dark, cold and dismal weather things seem to be 'on hold' at the moment Keith. At least Doris and Robin are still around to brighten up the days!

    I hope you're keeping an accurate count of those garden Siskins?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the Heron Keith :-) and my goodness what a stroppy lot Coots are.

    An invasion of Siskins, how wonderful! I was visiting a friend last week and her husband watches the birds in the garden and I was telling him that Siskins are being driven into gardens this year because of a poor seed harvest. I asked if he had had any and he said he'd never seen one at all....less than five minutes later one arrived on his feeder!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrian, these were really going at it. I'm sure there are casualties at times.

    These Siskins are a nightmare to count Trevor lol

    Thanks Jan. I'll get this Siskin post up soon. Had an amazing number in the garden the last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the new header its awesome!

    WE have had a huge flock of siskins this winter, its hard to get a good photo of them they MOVE around so fast...

    The Lake birds are in fine form today! Boy those coots are so violent~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Keith....That is a mean lot fighting there, they are down right vicious !!
    Good luck counting those little buggers..I think a guesstimate is in order ; )
    Hey I miss that voice, cat got your tongue?? I never did like silent movies ; )
    Hugs
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sondra.
    Those Coots really seem to enjoy a fight.

    Thank you Grace. Yea, wasn't in a talkative mood today lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great video, the Coots are doing their thing, again, cheers Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Bob. Those Coots are always at it lol

    ReplyDelete