Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 16 February 2013

Scaup and weekend boats




Not a bad start to the morning; but the lake is still flooded.


It's gone down a bit since yesterday, but I still can't get to the feeders. Maybe in a couple of days if we don't get any more rain.
Unfortunately if the rising and falling water levels keeps happening, it's not going to help the soon to be nesting birds around the edges, and later, in the reeds.

The north lake was a no go, so just the south this morning.
As I made my way towards the road bridge to look for Doris, I disturbed a Sparrowhawk finishing off the remains of a kill. Hard to tell what it once was; and no sign of Doris either.

Onto the south lake, and in the distance I could see the Scaup amongst a group of Pochards. A group of boats were out too, so the views of the Scaup were short lived, as everything took to the air, and began flying around overhead.





As I made my way to the far end, a pair of Great Crested Grebes were looking as though they were about to perform the weed dance. Just as they dived though, one of the boats came cruising up to where they had been. The end of that ritual. And still the group of birds were flying round overhead. They must use up a lot of energy.

I just missed another pair performing the 'head waggle', who were nearer to the far end, and safe from boats. In the distance a couple of Teal, and as I reached the far end, a pair of Mute Swans swam over hoping for food. They didn't seem impressed with the seed I had. I think they're more used to bread.


A small group of Long Tailed Tits were busily working their way through the bushes searching for insects.





Round to where the Robin usually is, but for the second day, no sign of him. I left some seed anyway, and scanning the water I found one of the male Scaup along with some Tufted Duck, and three Gadwall.

Past the busy rowing club, and then around the bays in front of the houses.
The final bay had another male Scaup, and past Cormorant island, a group of Pochard.


Not a bad morning in the end.











Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Common Teal [sp] (Anas crecca)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Greater Scaup [sp] (Aythya marila)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Eurasian Sparrowhawk [sp] (Accipiter nisus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)


Total species  27



12 comments:

  1. I suspect that Trevor may have taken advantage of your absence and dined on Doris....I was tempted. She was a plump duck.
    The Robin has hopefully found a mate. Bonking comes before eating seed which they don't really like.

    It is half term properly here. It was half a half term last week. Kids everywhere. Why can't teachers work a year on four weeks holiday?
    Good to see the Scaup....Better to see them on the wing.
    Only another week to go and they are back at school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Doris! I hope not.
    Seems everything has disappeared from the lake today Adrian. I blame the kids; and boats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want Doris and Robin returned safely it will cost you one packet of Chocolate (plain!) Digestives and two packets of Jammie Dodgers...pay up now or they both get it!

    Nah!...only joking...even I wouldn't harm poor old Doris...and little Robin?... he used to sing to me last week before coming to take seed from my hand!...I hope they are both okay!

    It's a wonder you managed to see anything at all this morning with all those bloody boats about. Lets hope that things, and the water level, return to normal next week...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trevor, it was hard going this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Scaups, nice one Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bob. They've been here a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It wasn't until I looked them up that I saw that it is rare for Scaups to breed here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks John.
    I think this is the biggest number ever in this county.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have done well with Scaups lately Keith. Those dratted boats really are a nuisance....I don't think a twelve month ban once every year would be too much to ask do you ;-)

    I do hope Doris and Robin haven't succumbed to the Sparrowhawk!! Maybe you've seen them by now?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jan.
    I think I got the times for the ban perfect. Glad you agree. :-)
    Hopefully get round the lake this morning, and see the regulars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Bob. I fancied a change. Glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete