Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 4 January 2013

Friday 4th January 2013




Cloudy start, but the sun came out later.



I took my wellies this morning, so I could reach all the feeders. All done now.


Mallards under the road bridge soon caught up with me, and are getting a bit clever now. As I walk away after feeding them, they begin to follow me again, in the hope of getting more. Crafty.

At the top end, the usual Wigeon and Coots, with a couple of Pochard.
By the gully, the path is still flooded, so a detour over the river still.

Coming round the back of the pub, two Mistle Thrush flew up into a tree.




A very distant shot, but not often I see these here, so very pleased to see them.



Under the road bridge, after being followed by the Mallards, and it was the turn of the Crows next, seeking apple tit bits.

At the far end, sitting in the bushes, was a Kingfisher. Short video, and then as I raised the camera for some pictures, he decided he'd go.




Oh well. My usual view of the bird. A blue speck.




The Robin was at his bird hide, and after feeding him, I made my way towards the rowing club, and a large flock of mixed gulls.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, this brings me to yesterdays question, of which bird, given the choice, would you come back as.

Some interesting answers on here, and Twitter, that included; RedKiteCarionCrowCormorantMandarinDuck, (I couldn't find that one in my bird book), a Shearwater, Waxwings, Bullfinch, Hawfinch, Mallard, Snow Goose, and Peregrine. Some good birds there, but for me, personally, I'd come back as a Great Black-backed Gull.

Big enough not to be picked on too much by other birds, great in the air, and equally at home on land, inland waters and the sea. With a diet that includes just about anything, I think it's a pretty adaptable bird. Maybe not the prettiest, but certainly an intelligence level up there with the Corvids.


Thanks to those that had a go.


~~~~~~~~~


Back at the lake, quite a few Pochard




and Tufted Duck alongside the rowing club. They all looked splendid in the sunshine.






And finally a quick look at the feeders; bereft of birds, and then home.











Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Feral Pigeon (Columba livia 'feral')
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Mistle Thrush [sp] (Turdus viscivorus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  37



14 comments:

  1. A bit better day today.
    You'll have to take a fish for the Kingfisher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only those Kingfishers behaved like the Mallards, I'd have cracked it Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking at the list of birds that you had made, wow, there seems to be nearly all of them. Can I come and live near you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a great angle on the Kingfisher Keith.
    Its always a possibility that there is a less common species of gull amongst a large flock like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice spell of sunshine there this morning Keith and the water level is slowly returning back to normal..can't be bad!

    I think you've got a challenge on your hands with that Kingfisher..if only they behaved like Mallards!!

    So, you would come back as a Great Black-backed Gull... a big, brash, noisy bully of a thing!...are you trying to tell us something?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bob. I'm very lucky to have so many different birds near where I live. I'm sure there's somewhere you could stay. lol

    Thanks Roy. I've had the occasional Yellow Legged Gull amongst them, and goodness knows what else; I'm not very good with gulls.

    Trevor, if the Kingfisher was like the Mallards, I'd have 'em eating out my hand. lol
    Nah, you're wrong; Black-headed Gulls are pussycats :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that was a great idea to put on the Wellies to get at the feeders..SO glad for your bird buddies that seem to be REALLY counting on your support especially those crafty mallards...I love seeing them.
    The pochard is in fine form too!!
    The Great Black Back is a fine bird to be I do think!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Sondra. I was glad I could finally get to all the feeders.
    Those Mallards are just amazing how they can seek me out round the lake. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see things are getting back to normal. Have you noticed an increase in dawn chorus this week. It is noticeably noisier here with Blackbirds and Robins especially.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks John.
    Strange you mention the 'dawn chorus'. I've had a Blackbird singing heartily every morning since Christmas Day. Duets with a Robin too. Amazing to hear at this time of year. Even had a Blue Tit investigating a nest box a couple of days ago. Maybe winter is over?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiya Keith, I missed Thursday's post and just looked at it but the video won't play, it says my browser doesn't support any of the video formats! I'm on the iPad which I usually am when I make comments and the video on this post runs fine so don't know what that's all about, maybe you did something different with Thursday's video?

    Anyway, nice to see the Mistle Thrush, for some reason I hardly ever do! Your question on Thursday was very intriguing. I was tempted by a Cuckoo because I wouldn't have to do any nest building ;-) but I decided I didn't want any exhausting journeys across the sea (a lazy streak showing now I think!) so have decided on Wren because they tend to skulk around in the undergrowth a lot so hopefully wouldn't be too obvious to raptors.

    Glad you are able to fill the feeders now, I'm sure the birds are too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Jan. Hmmm, not sure why the video won't play; same old format lol
    Nice little bird the Wren, but rarely get them in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the mistle thrush photo. The streak breasted thrushes are some of my favorite bids.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Wilma.
    We have a few extra here at the moment. Fieldfare and Redwing join us from Scandinavia for the winter months.

    ReplyDelete