Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Thursday, 24 January 2013

18 Goosander, 8 Scaup, 1 Goldeneye, 1 Little Egret and a bird in the hand




I wasn't going to post today, but it was so good, I had to.


After feeding Doris and her ever expanding crew, I set off round the north lake.
First up was a Goldeneye, swimming in his usual spot. Quickly followed by a couple of Goosander. Then a couple more. They seemed to be everywhere.
A total of nine, just on the north lake.

A lot of Redwing and Fieldfare were all around the lake too.




Gadwall, Tufted, Wigeon and a few Pochard were also present.


Down past the pub, and Doris caught me again, with her gang.


South lake next, and to see if the Scaup were still present.


They were. Eight.






At the far end, the Crows were filling the field, and a large group of mixed gulls were down by the first hide.


Onto the second hide, to feed the Robin. I had the video camera ready, just in case.
And I finally captured him on video, gingerly taking some seed from my hand.
A lovely experience.


On to the rowing club, and more Goosander.





I watched a female for some time as she stood at the edge, busily preening herself,





and then eventually swimming away.



I carried on towards the car park, and counted even more Goosanders. A total of 18 for the day. Excellent.



And to finish the morning off, a Little Egret, perched over on Cormorant island.











Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Greater Scaup [sp] (Aythya marila)
Common Goldeneye [sp] (Bucephala clangula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)

Total species  38


8 comments:

  1. Hi Keith...We will have to start calling you "Quack"the duck feeder!! Makes me laugh ever time..and Doris what a women lol!!
    That is the sweetest seeing that Robin eat out of your
    hand : )...some people just don't think birds a smart!!
    It was a good morning with the Egret, Scaups, and Gossander count..busy place!!
    Hugs
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what you call a Goosander day Keith! Cracking set of images and video of a superb roll call for today.
    And I thought Caldecotte never had anything worth seeing.

    Great work with Robin, that'll soon be one more to follow you around the lake!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Grace. Yea, Doris is a real star. She almost fly's into me at times in her rush to be fed. lol

    A great morning Trevor. It amuses me at times when I read the 'reports' and counts by others from the lake. I'm sure they just stand on the road bridge, and look left, then right.
    So glad I got the Robin on video at last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope the Scaup are about next week.
    Goosanders are normal on northern rivers. Still beautiful as are Mallard and Rooks.
    I hope I'm not turning into a birder!
    I tame Rooks you tame Robins. I love corvus though if I'm late feeding them they have a naughty side. They rips up wiper blades and pull hair from the dogs
    Naughty Birds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope so too Adrian. I'm sure we'll have something good to show you if not though. This is a good lake for Goosanders; 26 last year.
    Just don't turn into a 'grown up' birder. They're the worst kind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've made a habit of finding birds, how do you do it? The Scaup, 8 lovely waterbirds, and the Fieldfare, in fact, its you Keith, all of them just flock to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a privilege to have a Robin feeding out of your hand Keith. Great shots of the Goosander.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bob. I can't take the credit for the Scaup though. Someone else noticed them first; but I have found a few other birds. :-)

    Thanks Roy. Yea, that Robin moment was special.

    ReplyDelete