Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 29 December 2012

Rain, with the added bonus of wind




Another crappy day ahead.



I got to the lake a bit later than usual. I was trying to salvage my garden fence from the brink of extinction this morning, after its battering from the strong winds in the night.


The rain was getting heavier as I began to feed the Crows and Magpies. The wind didn't help much either, driving into every available and exposed orifice.
The feeders still have water under them, although not so much now. Probably waist deep, instead of chest deep.


I left the Mallards to it, as they swam underneath, and began to make my way to the road bridge. Curiosity more than anything. 
I came over yesterday; yes it rained, but I didn't do a post; too many expletives on the soundtrack.

The water level has gone down slightly, but the footpath both sides from the road bridge to the north, are still flooded. I decided on just the south.


I soon changed my mind though, when I reached the car park. The wind was making the rain seem worse.



Time to head home, and search for the Bells.










Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)

Total species  18



12 comments:

  1. This weather is driving me insane. It's just gets worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Adrian. I hope next year will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bells!..the Bells!...just the ticket for such a anglo saxon!..anglow saxon!..anglow saxon! day...[:o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This weather is enough to turn a teetotaler to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That didn't look much fun at all. The wind was really wild here last night and we have had heavy rain all day. I hope you've finished battling with the fence and are now enjoying the musical sound of Bells as it tinkles into the glass....of course it really should be Famous Grouse....strictly in the birding sense of course rather than the complaining sense ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been an awful day Jan. I think the fence is holding up well; more than I am. Got some Grouse for tomorrow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any chance of you taking on the weather forecast slot on the local BBC News? I think you'd go down a storm, if you'll excuse the pun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure that would be a good idea lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't you go out to feed the birds, like at their feeding stage, you could have swam there, but I suppose it is rather cold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soon to be followed by more rain Keith.{:))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel your pain Keith, we've had rain and wind for a while now...a few days of clouds between...I picked up so many sticks from the yard last week and now its all back again! Hope your New Yrs is clear n blue skies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bob, I need a rubber ring I think; or borrow one of the boats from the boat people. lol

    Today has been sunny Roy, but I'm told more rain is on its way :-(

    Thanks Sondra. A bit different today, but I'm told it won't last. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete