Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Monday, 17 December 2012

Rain, rainbow and sunshine




Another mild morning, with a mixed bag of weather.



Yesterday it  was quite busy here, with a few boats out and a marathon going on around the lake. Today much quieter; and not so many birds either.

The Mallards caught up with me at the road bridge, and one of the females is getting very pushy. Not content with the seed I put down, she now runs after me as I leave. Another handful of seed, and sometimes she'll leave it at that. Other times she can be very persistent. I'm sure if she could, she would follow me home.

As I reached the first footbridge on the north lake, a rainbow heralded the onset of the first light showers. Thankfully they were light; and not lasting.

At the gully a silly swan has got himself in there, but I suspect he'll get out soon enough. The water is still fairly high there, so it shouldn't be a problem.
A few Wigeon out on the water, along with some Coots, and that was about it for the north.

Passing the pub, the Mallards flew over to me again, so more food. Still not enough for Mrs Pushy though, who continued to run along behind me quacking her head off.
I'm not sure what the people in the pub make of all this.
I eventually managed to lose her with some more seed, and I quickly made my escape under the road bridge.

South lake; and there was the Crows. One at first, but soon joined by his two amigos.
Apples for them. Lucky enough I had two with me. I've never eaten so much fruit.

Overhead, quite a large group of Lapwing were flying over, heading north. Probably going to Willen. There's usually quite a gathering there.

As I made my way to the far end, I could see three Goosander swimming by the island. Two males and a female. A large group of mixed gulls on the water too.
Turning the corner for the far end, a Kingfisher sat in the bushes. Good to know that they're still here at the bottom end.

The Robin was waiting at the bird hide for his food. He seems very tame now. Maybe I can get him to  take it from my hand soon.

Along by the rowing club, and out on the water a few Pochard and Tufted Duck. Nothing like the recent numbers though.


And finally, back at the car park.










Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  35



6 comments:

  1. No Santas and fairies about this morning then Keith?

    And as for Mrs Mallard, she's just exercising her female rights, she wants what she wants when she wants it and it's not up to you to question it!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pleasant walk around the lake again Keith. I wish I could draw cartoons, you would be driving your car with Mrs Mallard in the passenger seat, a couple of Crows in the back and that sweet little Robin perched on the dashboard....I can see it now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bob.

    Sadly, no, Trevor lol

    Jan, that sounds about right too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWW that little female is so sweet, she wants to be your new pet! I bet she would willingly go home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is amazing isn't she Sondra.
    It's very humbling when a wild animal puts so much trust in you.

    ReplyDelete