Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 7 December 2012

Nine Goosander




I was up early this morning, cold but clear skies; the plan was to go down the south lake, see the gull roost, and get the sunrise.


Never mind.


As I got to the lake it was thick cloud, and after crossing the road bridge, to go south, the rain started. Light at first, then heavier, then sleet, then snow, then  .............


I could make out the gull roost in the distance, much too dark for any decent video; although I did try. There were nine Goosander this morning though, swimming about over by the rowing club. Six males, three females. I was hoping to get some pictures once I got round there.

By now, as I reached the railway arch into the field, the rain was getting heavier, and changing from rain, to sleet to snow and then back. An awful morning to be walking around in, and I was getting soaked.


A few Fieldfares were up in the same tree at the edge of the field, but I couldn't see any Redwing with them this morning. The real stars though, were the Crows. Hundreds. Rooks, Jackdaws and Crows, swirling around like a Starling murmaration.
I watched them for a while, and then decided the best plan would be to head home.

As I got to the rowing club, a female Goosander flew off to the far end. I couldn't see any sign of the rest, so I assumed they'd split up from their big group, and spread out on the lake.

Probably right, because as I got near the houses, a male flew off into the distance, and further round, another was making his way towards the centre of the lake.

A very quick look over to Cormorant island as I passed, and there were quite a group of Tufted Duck, along with some Pochard and Coots.


A lousy morning, but great to see so many Goosander.




(and now the sun is shining; bloody typical!)










Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)

Total species  25



10 comments:

  1. That wasn't the greatest plan you have ever thought up Keith.{:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the Numb Nuts that believe that sport is waving an expensive stick with expensive worms on will be asking for a Goosander cull. They can gobble fish quicker than a seal.
    I hope they are there in the spring. I love watching the female pretending to drown whilst the male swims along saying Bloody Prima Donna. She can stay under longer than I can if she wants a fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame the plan didn't work out Keith!! Have you thawed out yet?

    Impressive amount of corvids there, very spectacular.

    Good luck for tomorrow morning, although the forecast isn't looking too good!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do they put in the water to attract so many Goosander? Apart from fish, obviously :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at the sunshine now Roy, I'm a bit fed up to say the least. :-(

    Cheers Adrian. Yea, I can see the local fishing bailiff having a seizure, what with the Cormorants as well. They can certainly put them away.

    Trevor, it was freezing cold too. Had to change all my clothes when I got in, and the boots and coat are still wet. I'll try again tomorrow.

    Graeme, it's amazing how many can turn up here. The most last year was 22 if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness, that looked really horrible, it sounded like the wind was fierce too! Goosanders are such elegant birds.

    I have just enjoyed yesterday's video too. Great to see all the Siskins and you got some lovely photos of them. It was nice that the little Robin was rewarded for its boldness :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The weather was atrocious for the couple of hours I was there Jan, and when I got home and changed, the sun came out. Annoying.
    Getting some good birds at the lake though, despite the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice video Keith, at last you met up with the Goosanders, lovely they are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang the weather let you down..but maybe it will be better tomorrow! 9 goosanders is quite a flock!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Bob. Yea, got to see them again. :-)

    Thanks Sondra. A lot of these birds seem to favour this lake every year. Going to try another early start this morning. :-)

    ReplyDelete