Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 23 December 2012

Flooded again




Well, for a change it wasn't raining; that stopped last night about 10:30, but I guessed the lake would be flooded.



First I drove to the pub, to try and get round the north lake; or some of it.
The footpath under the road bridge is flooded both sides, and in front of the pub too. The only way round is on very soggy grass, until the top end, where the footpath is a little higher, and clear.

Not many birds around this morning. I guess the wet weather has taken a bit of a toll on some of them. They must find it hard to trey and keep dry when it's like this.
Not many ducks around either.

At the weir end, the river has flooded over into the lake like before, so no way of reaching the rest of the north lake. Even the wall of the dam is under water again.
I headed back to the car, and made my way to my usual car park, at the south lake.

A few Redwings were in the trees,




and where the water had flooded onto the grass, a group were busily bathing, along with some Blackbirds.
I fed the Crows, and then made my way towards the feeders.


No chance of topping them up again. Thankfully there is still some food left in them, so all OK for a couple of days at least.

Back at the footbridge, the trickle of water underneath it has flooded out again. It's also flooded out the Rats that nest under it. And the strangest thing I've seen here; a Grey Heron perched on the footbridge.




 I can only assume he's diligently waiting for the Rats to run by, so he can pick them off one by one. Pretty smart.



At the flooded path, the pair of Mallards met me, so they got some seed before I carried on.


I crossed the road bridge to make my way round the south lake.


The Crows soon met me too, so they were rewarding with their apple, and I continued on my way.


The far end of the lake looks as flooded as before, and the railway arch to the field was out of bounds this morning. I would have needed wellington boots to get through it.

No sign of the Robin at the bird hide, but I left him some seed anyway.

Past the flooded rowing club, and they were getting ready to put some sailing boats out this morning.

Eventually I was back at the car park; and the Heron was still on duty at the footbridge.



Happy hunting.












Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)

Total species  28



11 comments:

  1. The Grey Heron is my fave, lovely creature. Shame about flooding Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are those webbed feet coming along Keith?...lol
    That's one smart Heron he certainly knows where there's a possibility of a good meal!
    And hey, guess what?...there's more rain forecast for tomorrow, now there's a novelty!!

    Stay safe (and dry!!)...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas and a Happy and much drier New Year Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could tell how wet it was by your feet squelching in the grass. Have a brilliant Christmas. From Findlay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great video...You sure it's not salty water. It could be high tide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bob. Hopefully the water will start to go down soon.

    Not more rain Trevor? Surely not.
    A pretty smart Heron, yea, lol

    Thanks Roy. Let's hope we've seen the last of the rain for a while.

    Thanks Findlay. Yea, very wet here.
    I hope you have a great Christmas too. All the best to you and your family.

    Thanks Adrian. It certainly feels like a high tide at times.


    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you dont get any more rain looks like you DONT need it right now for sure! Here its been a bit cold but other than that no complaints. Great shot of the heron and the redwing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought it would be flooded there again if you had the amount of rain we did. Nice conditions for ducks and swans though....and for the oddly perched Heron too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sondra, it is pouring down here at the moment. I may give it a miss today. lol

    Thanks Jan. That Heron has caught on that there are plenty of Rats in that area; clever. I dread to think what the lake will be like today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have loads of standing water here Keith.. and it's nowhere to go.
    Please accept my best wishes for Christmas and that all you wish for comes true in the New Year..
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Andrew.
    Have a good one too.

    ReplyDelete