Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Tuesday, 4 December 2012

Back to normal




The lake, not me.



Bright and early round the lake; although it was still quite dark as I made my way round the south lake. I wanted to have a look at the increasing gull roost; and impressive it is too. I'm not brilliant with gull ID's, but I picked out Common, Lesser and Greater Black-backed, Herring and lots of Black-headed Gulls. A grown up birder would probably find a few others amongst them.

The water levels have gone back to normal now; even under the feeders the water has gone, leaving a very soggy ground cover.

Past the rowing club, and down towards the bird hide, there were Goldfinches, Long Tailed Tits and plenty of Redwing.

Through the railway arch, and on the field were hundreds of Rooks, Jackdaws, Crows, Wood Pigeons and Starlings. And in the distance, sat in a tree, was a Buzzard. 
The sunrise is usually pretty good here in the winter months, and this morning was no exception.





Coming out of the arch, a group of Mistle Thrush flew noisily overhead, and as I made my way towards the north lake, three Siskin flew towards the field, and another male Goosander flew over the lake. Three times now; I'll get pictures eventually.

Under the road bridge the Mallard gang caught up with me, and as they fed on the seed, a couple of Crows swooped down to join them.

No woodpecker in front of the pub today, but a couple of Pied Wagtails instead, and on the boat jetty, a group of Cormorants drying their wings.






At the far end, a group of Wigeon, but no sign of the Goosander, so I'm guessing he carried on to Willen Lake, further north.


The gully is still flooded, but I noticed the water swirling round like water does in a bath, when the plug is pulled. I think it is still draining back into the river.


Quite a few Herons around this morning,




and a lot of Great Crested Grebes.



Eventually I was back at the car park; but not before the Mallards had caught me again.











Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Buzzard [sp] (Buteo buteo)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
Mistle Thrush [viscivorus] (Turdus viscivorus viscivorus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)

Total species  39


11 comments:

  1. Glad you clarified what was back to normal Keith, I was beginning to get worried it might be you!..lol.

    Great sunrise images and an impressive amount of birds around this morning, I hope you counted every one??

    Are you sure 'Billy' isn't stuck to that branch he was there in the same spot 3 days ago?

    Excellent video, I could almost feel the cold!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God forbid I ever get 'normal' Trevor.
    Full count this morning, even though my fingers were numb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A monster video today.
    Good to see the levels are getting back to normal.
    I never cease to be amazed that you have so many birds there.
    The Lake district would be happy to have a quarter of them.
    Bit of luck you will have Osprey next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Adrian. It's a place the local birding folk disregard. Strange lot some of them.
    There was an Osprey at the lake up the road one year. I live in hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice setting of sunrise, it looked out to be a cracker, and my fave is the first Cormorant, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While normal weather is a great thing, normal in people is highly over-rated. How dull would that be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Keith...Well there is quite a show this morning , and the sunrise was in fine show ...just beautiful!!
    The large flock of bird reminds me of the movie he birds eeks!!
    Never worry about being normal there is no such thing ; }!!
    Hugs you old bugger : }
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bob. It's a good spot for the sunrise in the winter.

    Thanks Wilma. I guess normality differs from person to person. :-)

    Thank you Grace. Yea, normality is highly overrated. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all those Herons Keith, that put a big smile on my face :-) Always fun to see your eager Mallards too. I love the second Cormorant photo.

    I think you deserve that wonderful array of birds with the dedication you put in there in all weather even the bleakest. Had you told us you had suffered a mishap? If so I missed it somehow. I hope it didn't do too much damage, either to you or the camera equipment! The sunset photo is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The water is finally receeding! That was some flood. I really love the coromorants in the sun, LOTS of bird activity for your walk today Keith!
    NORMAL is boring..lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Jan, you're most welcome. Got loads of Herons here at the moment. :-) Some great birds here this morning.
    The mishap was the other day. Trevor came round, and I managed to slip on the ice. Me and the camera got off lightly lol

    I agree Sondra, normal is pretty boring lol

    ReplyDelete