Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 15 December 2012

Another Saturday




A much milder morning than recently, but not so many birds about.



I decided to walk the south lake first, and maybe get the sunrise in the field.
Very few birds about on the lake, and the boats were beginning to set off by now too.
And I missed the sunrise.

Even my Robin at the hide wasn't around; but through the archway, under the railway line, the assorted Crows were out in force, along with the Wood Pigeons.
No guns today, thankfully.

I was soon reaching the road bridge, and after feeding the Crows some seed, (I'd forgotten my apples this morning), the Mallards had appeared waiting for their seed.

By now a large troop of runners were leaving the pub car park, and making their way towards the start of the race. Another marathon round the lake; and this time some of the runners were in Santa suits.
Some were very easy on the eye.

Up towards the top end, and a Kingfisher flew past towards the bushes at the bottom.
I slowly began making my way towards where I thought he'd stopped, and found him sitting amongst some bushes. I had to shoot through the branches of another bush to get a couple of pictures.




Quite pleased with the result.



Further along, I tried an arty shot of some bare trees.




By now the runners had spread out quite a bit, and so a steady stream of bodies were pounding the footpath. With the boats on the lake, it wasn't easy to get pictures of anything.
A Pied Wagtail was very obliging though.





And finally back at the car park, and on the footbridge, a Robin posed briefly.






A quieter morning birdwise, than usual.










Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)

Total species  32


10 comments:

  1. Great still of the Kingfisher.
    They are a bit like Dippers.. in that they don't go far so if you camped out it would most likely come to you with a wee fish in it's beak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some pretty decent shots of the Kingfisher Keith considering he was giving you the run around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There might not have been too much about this morning Keith but you still managed to get an excellent set of images...and you're getting ever closer to that Kingfisher!!

    And a great piece of art too!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Adrian. He's usually around at this spot. Difficult to creep up on him though.

    Thanks Roy. I'm getting there :-)

    Cheers Trevor. Didn't take many pictures today, but I was pleased with what I did take.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can hire you a big camoponcho. Smells of diesel and dogs but would maybe do the trick. To camp under and catch the little blighter.

    I have given up with the bird pickys. I'm going landscape. I still watch them and love them and feed the wee buggers. I buy food by the sack full now.
    If I need a good bird shot I know where to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful image of the Kingfisher and the Pied Wagtail, fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Adrian. I got one of those poncho things last year. Tried it a couple of times when I was in Wales, but I got too hot. Might have to give it another try though now the cooler weather is here.

    Thank you Bob. I was pleased with the Kingfisher shot. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each season you get a bit closer to the Kingfisher. That one is a verypleasing composition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is a VERY good look at your kingfisher! I love it...and the wagtail and robin too....
    Very sharp and crisp!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks John. I think it's my most successful yet. Very pleased with it.

    Thanks Sondra. I had a good morning, and pleased with the pictures.

    ReplyDelete