Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 17 November 2012

Damp, dark and dull.




It's been a while since I posted.


I've still walked the lake most days, but me and blogging don't seem to be hitting it off at the moment; I've not been in the best of places in my head.
Today though, I'll try.


A dull dark and miserable start to the day. A quick look over on Cormorant island after topping up the feeders, found quite a few Cormorants, surprisingly, and in the bay at the first block of houses, some Pochard, Tufted Duck and Coot. The remnants of the gull roost were off in the distance.


A light drizzle accompanied me as I started to walk round the north lake; and I was also met by a group of Mallards under the road bridge.


After feeding them I carried on up to the top end of the lake. The Cormorants were out busily fishing, and a group of Black-headed Gulls sat on the wall of the dam.
A few Coots were swimming along with a single Gadwall, and a large group of Canada Geese. A few boats were out by now too.

Along the gully a Grey Wagtail was briefly searching for insects, and as I made my way past the pub, a Pied Wagtail was doing the same.
The Mallards came over again, so a quick handful of seed, and I could make my way to the south lake.

A couple of the Crows turned up next, so they had some brown bread; no apples in the diet recently.

At the far end were three Little Grebe, swimming around a Grey Heron who was looking pretty sorry for himself.

Lots of mixed Crows in the field through the railway arch, along with Wood Pigeon and Starlings. Easier to get there now too, because the footpath access has been tidied up.

A few Redwing on the berries by the bird hide, and finally I was walking alongside the rowing club. The rain had stopped by now too.



Not a bad morning.









Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Feral Pigeon (Columba livia 'feral')
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  36


7 comments:

  1. The black dog is a real bugger Keith. I've had it over me for weeks.
    Good to see you carried on and produced one of the best videos yet.
    I trashed a camera this morning in pouring rain....Loads of Waxwing. No bloody camera.
    There is sod all for them to eat so I suspect they will have a hard winter.
    Not the only ones. keep smiling and have a laugh. Laughs are free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adrian. I think it's the time of year, amongst other things.
    Sorry to hear about the camera; akin to losing a limb.
    Still waiting for the Waxwings here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Keith...Glad to hear that voice again, sorry you have hit a bad spot..but I hear ya..life isn't all it is cracked up to be!!
    It sure was a dark morning...but hey the Mallards are always good for a laugh, and make great friends the kind you can depend on, even if there using you for a hand out ; ) !!
    The Grey Wagtail is a lovely looking bird !!
    Crows will eat anything, I'm sure bread is not a problem : )!!
    That tunnel that you pass through, would give me a bit of fright, don't know why but it just
    does!!: )
    Hugs my friend!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent vidoe today Keith, I always enjoy seeing your mallards come for their treat you are the highlight of Their Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Long dark evenings and short dull days don't help the mood Keith.
    That was a good long walkabout there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The recent dark and dismal weather is enough to get anyone down Keith, a bit better this morning tho', crisp and sunny! A shame we dipped out with those Waxwings the other day! (They're still being reported in that area!!!)

    Excellent video, that stunning Grey Wagtail certainly brightened up the day and those cheeky Mallard sure know when they're onto a good thing!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Grace. There's always a good variety of birds here. A shame the weather was so depressing though. Better weather today though.

    Thanks Sondra. Yea those Mallards are becoming quite an attraction. Even some of the other people that walk round the lake refer to them as my ducks. lol

    John, this time of year always seems to depress me. I'm sure the dull days don't help.

    Cheers Trevor. Yea, I saw that about the Waxwings lol
    I reckon they'll be here at the lake, in a week.

    ReplyDelete