Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 20 October 2012

Boats everywhere.



I know it's the weekend, but......


After topping up the feeders, I began to make my way round the north lake.
As I stood gazing into the mist, I was suddenly aware That I had company.
The pair of Mallards were patiently waiting to be fed, so I had to make my way back to the car, to get some seed.
Yea, mad, I know.

A Grey Wagtail was searching for insects along the edge of the water, under the road bridge, as I returned; but no sign of the Mallards. Maybe they got fed up waiting.

Quite a few Cormorants are beginning to fish the lake now, which must be upsetting for the fishermen. Shame.

A bit misty this morning too.




A nice surprise was to see a pair of Gadwall swimming up by the area past the bandstand; but they soon moved on when a fuzzy faced man in a canoe appeared, and started putting everything up in the air.

Further up at the top end, by the dam, he continued his journey up towards the arm that goes behind the pub.
By now the regular rowers were out too, so the birds had nowhere 'quiet' to go to.

At the top end, past the weir and on the grass, the Canada Geese had sought refuge from the disturbance; eventually deciding to go elsewhere.

I had the same idea too, but not before the pair of Mallards found me, and got some seed.



Maybe tomorrow won't be so busy.









Full list of today's sightings


Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)

Total species  29


11 comments:

  1. Perhaps a few strategically placed submerged 'Mines' may sort out the Capt Pugwash problem Keith.{:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely shot of the lake there Keith. A shame to see the birds being so disrupted though. I hope Captain Pugwash isn't going to be a regular, as you say, it's bad enough with the other boats. I hope you have a better walk tomorrow.

    I think those Mallards had missed you while you were in Wales, they certainly hadn't forgotten you :-)

    Your mention of the Cormorants reminds me of remarks I saw on the Internet by fishermen commenting on a newspaper article recently. I couldn't believe the hate filled things they were saying such as calling the birds 'evil' and that they are 'an obscenity' and 'that they should be shot on sight'. They sounded completely unhinged!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very entertaining today. Boaters are a nuisance whether hairy or close shaved. It could be worse.. You could have a hydroplane club on the lake. Ta least your boats are weekend and daylight. At Durham it's everyday and night and day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith...don't think I have ever heard of fungus face before LOL!
    I do like hearing your grumbling about the boats, soon it will be cold and some ice and they will wimp out!!
    Quite the gaggle of Geese there, the Canadian Geese are just about the only ones I see here, the are a a nice looking bird!!
    Got some color along the path I see, looking real nice!!
    Hugs
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea Roy lol

    Jan, those Mallards were amazing. I couldn't believe it when they suddenly appeared, patiently waiting to be fed.
    I think fishermen dislike Cormorants so much because they're better at fishing than they are.

    Adrian, drastic tactics would be employed if that ever happens.

    Grace, one of the good things about a cold winter is the scuppering of the boats lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pain in the arse, that's all I've to say. I love love scenery of the lake, well done Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said Bob. Couldn't have put it better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Critters of all kinds are barely able to find wilderness any longer! No Matter where I go to try to get be out in wilderness somebody shows up! Guess over population is the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly right Sondra. Far too many people on this overcrowded planet now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your walk was well and truly scuppered there Keith!

    What's with 'Captain Pugwash' it looks like he was on a mission to scare off all the wildlife?

    Why did they need to cut that rough area down? I'm sure it would fare equally well left to its own devices!
    Got to keep things looking neat and tidy I guess, then what do I know!

    Hope your walk is better this morning...perhaps ol' Pugwash will have a lie in!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea, wasn't the best of visits Trevor. As for Pugwash, ......

    ReplyDelete