Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Swans OK



A quick visit this morning; I'm waiting for a new toy to arrive, and I need to get some supplies for the trip to Birdfair on Friday.

Good to see the Mallard family down by the feeders again this morning, and somehow a small feeder left by someone some time ago, has managed to get twenty odd feet up in a tree.
I noticed it a while ago; maybe Twizzle does live after all.

A very warm, sticky start to the day, and a few Brown Hawkers flying around.


Just the north lake this morning; I also wanted to see if the swans were still stranded.


As I made my way there, I counted almost fifty swans swimming up at the top end.
Had the others been rescued, and had joined the main group? I'd soon find out.



A Common Sandpiper flew across the lake, calling as it went.
Now the most I've seen of these here has been two. And I've seen them on the north lake, and the south lake. Are there more than two here, or do they just fly about a lot?



Another Mallard was up by the dam, with four ducklings. Looking at the size of them, I would guess they were the group of seven.

And as I reached the gully, no swans. Brilliant. Freedom at last. Maybe it was a result from people contacting the Parks Trust?


As I reached the pub, to make my way home, I noticed a sign on the sailing club.
An open day today.
Now, me being a cynical old bugger immediately thought the only reason the swans had been moved, was because it wouldn't look good if lots of people attending the open day, wandered down there and saw them swimming up and down in that gully, looking distressed.

No, surely not the reason Keith.



Well, whatever the reason, it was good to see them out of there.









Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Common Sandpiper (Actitis hypoleucos)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Eurasian Reed Warbler [sp] (Acrocephalus scirpaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)

Total species  27



13 comments:

  1. Keith, I just hope that Twizzle is going to keep that feeder topped up with food!!

    Nice to hear the manic calls of the Reed Warblers, I think it's one of my favourite bird calls/songs! Maybe they're getting psyched up for the long journey ahead!

    For whatever reason Keith it's good to see that the Swans have been set free at last...[;o)

    Synical?...You? Nah, don't believe it!...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the Reed Warblers will be starting their long journey soon Trevor.
    Yea, good to see the swans free. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You cynical Keith, surely not.{:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good to see the swans are free.
    What new toy is arriving?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me cynical Roy? Hmmmm, maybe I was a little hard on myself lol

    I treated myself to a pocket sized Canon G12 Adrian. I just hope it comes before Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really good news Keith, I am very relieved! I suspect your cynicism is not unfounded ;-)

    So glad Adrian asked the question I was going to. That was a real tease telling us you were waiting for a new toy but not what it was...my curiosity is now satisfied :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jan. Yea, good news about the swans.
    Still waiting for the new toy to arrive. Knowing my luck it'll turn up on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kwadruple, Kamera Keith. EH!
    I have been looking at these. Be interesting to see a road test.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea, I seem to be collecting cameras like bad habits Adrian.
    Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow, and I can try it out on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great, you were at the first to approach the Park Trust, and they have been successed with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea, a good ending to the story Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  12. GREAT news they are free at last! I was so worried about them...
    OH the G9 sounds like a great choice for a lightweight camera with a Punch! I still love my Kodak! I have to use something that is easy, light and will take punishment!
    Hope you enjoy the birdfair, sounds like a great day out you have planned.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Sondra.
    The official explanation sounded strange to me, but glad they all left together, seemingly of their own accord. :-)

    G12 .... the new one, and first impressions ...... very impressed.

    ReplyDelete