Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Monday, 27 August 2012

It's a Bank Holiday



That means crowds; so a short visit today.


Quite a few fishermen about today; some of a dubious nature too. The ones that don't pay for a ticket/licence, and don't put the fish back afterwards.

A Wren was hopping along a garden fence in the early sunlight, and posed briefly for a few pictures.





Up by the dam, a Kingfisher flew across the lake, and overhead a couple of Lapwing were flying northwards. I imagine going towards Willen Lake.


I watched a couple of Grey Herons having a dispute over fishing areas. One was determined to chase the other as far away as possible. He succeeded eventually, and settled down on his perch by the weir.





Down in the gully, the Great Crested Grebe was still swimming around.






There would appear to be plenty of smallish fish in there; they get in and out through the sluice gate, so he seems quite happy with a 'captive' food supply at the moment.
It also means it's easier for me to get some close up shots of him.
We have developed a system.
He surfaces, I take some pictures; he dives.
I walk along to the other end of the gully, and wait.
He surfaces, I take my pictures, (I have to be quick), and then he dives again.
I walk to the other end, and we do it all over again.
It works well, it's just a shame the sun is in the wrong place.


As I passed the pub, that would be packed with people later, I noticed the glasses left lying around. A shame people can't take them back, or at least leave them on one of the tables. Some were even left by the children's play area. No excuse for that.



Enjoy your holiday today.









Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Blackcap [sp] (Sylvia atricapilla)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  29


16 comments:

  1. Superb tracking shots. Be interesting to watch your technique and see the gear.
    The pub wants it's licence revoking. They sell the drink to idiots. It's up to them to supervise it's consumption and clear up after them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Adrian.
    I'll try and get Trevor filming me, filming the birds. That'd be interesting :-)
    Yea, it's a shame about some of the idiots that use the pub. I think the staff clear up in the mornings, but it's usually too late then. I watched an inquisitive Crow knock one of the glasses off its perch this morning.
    Needless to say it smashed when it hit the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well captured Heron shots Keith, and the three stills.

    They say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks but that GC Grebe has managed it in a couple of days!!...lol.

    £10 deposit on each glass or bottle taken from the pub should encourage the morons to return them. Then I guess they wouldn't drink there!...result all round then?...[;o)



    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahwww, Keith! I've just caught up with your weekend posts...why does sod's law decree that I don't see the special one on the day it goes out?...thank you so much for the Heron photos, they are lovely and so are you for thinking of me :-)

    I enjoyed all the videos especially as Herons featured strongly :-) Lovely to see the Great Crested Grebe so closely although its a shame it's in the gully. You certainly worked out where it was going to resurface, they always manage to fool me.

    Great news that all seven Mallard ducklings are doing so well. They are growing well! Mum must has done a good and protective job. I enjoyed seeing the juvenile Bullfinch too, I don't think I ever have before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That grebe is amazing, the way he goes up and down that gully, and I still get ready to catch him on camera lol
    Great fun.
    Good idea with the pub charges. Cheaper than a TV licence lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan, you are very welcome. :-)

    Yea, those Mallard ducklings have done amazingly well to all survive. A top mum indeed.
    The grebe seems perfectly OK in the gully. Unlike the swans he can get out quite easily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Heron, and, a clever idea, to walk to get photos of the GCG.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bob. I'm sure he'll rumble me soon though lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful g-c grebe and wren pics. I'd have to put wrens in my top 10 favourite birds - they nest in our garden most years and are always scolding when their fledglings come out. The must have the highest decibel:size ratio of any bird!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Wren shot Keith... no sunshine here today so I've made do with my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phil, you're probably right. For such a small bird, they have an incredible powerful voice.

    Thanks Andrew. The sun soon gave way to cloud; and now rain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely shot of the Grebe Keith.
    At least he can fly out of there if he wants to unlike the Swan who would have a job getting airborne.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those Herons are great flyers for their size! The line of trees is really pretty...
    I guess the grebe has decided to stay in the gully!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Roy. That gully means I can get really close to the grebe, now I've sussed his movements.

    Sondra, I think the grebe has all he needs there at the moment.
    That line of trees are always the first to begin to take on their autumn hue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A successful day looking at your list. And thank you for commenting on my guest blog. from Findlay

    ReplyDelete