Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 18 August 2012

Gadwall, dragons and some butterflies



A hot sunny day.


The feeders took a little more to fill up this morning, after missing them yesterday, whilst I had fun at Birdfair spending money.
Mrs Mallard was down there, (at the feeders), and the missing piebald duckling was with her. Good to see him back safe and sound.


Another group of ducklings under the road bridge, and a couple of noisy Grey Herons arguing over fishing rites. A Kingfisher flew under the bridge, and disappeared into the bushes.
Still flying around were half a dozen Swifts; surely they'll be off to Africa soon?


Over by the island, a lone Gadwall was swimming with some Mallards.
I guess winter won't be far away now. I imagine we'll have Wigeon turning up soon.


Plenty of Black-headed Gulls and Common Terns; and the good weather had brought out a few fishermen too.

Making my way down to the south lake, a group of Canada Geese were grazing by the footpath, and a couple of Crows were hanging round, hopefully waiting for the apple core. At the far end of the lake, in his usual spot, the Pochard was chilling.


Amongst the wild flowers and long grass by the waters edge, I spotted my first Small Copper of the year.





A beautiful, small butterfly.



Gatekeeper and




Meadow Brown, were flying in the sun too.


As always, a few day flying moths too.




I don't know the ID of this one. One of the 'wave' moths perhaps?
If anyone knows, I'd love to know too.
Maybe Trevor knows? He got a lovely moth book yesterday while we were out.



Past the rowing club, and the boat people were beginning to set off.

Over by Cormorant island, the pair of Mute Swans were swimming with their four cygnets. They are growing so fast now.


Back at the car park, I decided to wander through the long grass, thistles and nettles.
There be dragons here; and I wasn't disappointed.


A Brown Hawker just wouldn't settle, but I managed a couple of others.






Migrant Hawker and Common Darter.



A few butterflies were fluttering in the warm sunshine too.




A Holly Blue,


and I thought rather surprisingly,




a Speckled Wood.




The birds were being vocal too; which always helps with ID's.




A young Chiffchaff, soon to be on his way for the winter, perhaps.



And a very fine looking Willow Warbler.




So fresh and yellow, he reminded me of a small Wood Warbler.




An excellent morning.










Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Common Swift [sp] (Apus apus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
British Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major anglicus)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Blackcap [sp] (Sylvia atricapilla)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita)
Willow Warbler [sp] (Phylloscopus trochilus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
British Jay (Garrulus glandarius rufitergum)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)


Total species  33



9 comments:

  1. On top form you are. just a brilliant video. I'm not finding dragonflies this year. The odd one flits past but no matter what time I go out I can't find them sitting.
    Glad to see you enjoyed yesterday and came back...NORMAL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adrian.
    Haven't seen many dragons myself, this year. It was a good day yesterday. Came back as normal as ever, and lighter of pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The butterflies, dragons, moths etc, they were beautiful, great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super sweet butterflies, moths and dragons in this post!! IM so happy to see the Pied bald duckling is back in action...I guess he was resting on your last visit...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bob. It was good to see them all out enjoying the sun.

    Thanks Sondra. I was glad to see that duckling back too. I guess he had a late night out before lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Keith beautiful photos here as well as the enjoyable video. You saw some lovely butterflies and Odonata. I did wonder if your dragon might have been a Southern Hawker rather than a Migrant but to be honest I struggle with the ID. I have a photo of what I think is a Southern Hawker...I think ;-)

    Your Speckled Wood did look tatty but I know they can sometimes have three emergences in a year and are often seen into October!

    I think your moth is one of the 'carpets', possibly Common Carpet but maybe Trevor knows better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jan. After looking at that dragon with clearer eyes, I think you're right. A Southern Hawker.
    I was going to amend the post, but my internet is running so slow for some reason at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry Keith this one slipped the net! Does forgetfulness come with age or is it the other way round? I forget!!

    Anyway, You've posted another fine set of images, the sun definitely brought out the wildlife. And a super video as well.

    I think Jan has it spot on, she's a clever girl, you know! Southern Hawker and Common Carpet. It's a good book btw!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't remember either Trevor.

    Jan certainly is a clever girl. :-)

    Thanks for the ID.
    I might invest in that big book too :-)

    ReplyDelete