Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Monday, 13 August 2012

Brief visit to the north lake



While I topped up the feeders, the female Mallard arrived with her five ducklings; and have they grown. As big as mum now, and looking very healthy.


Something I've noticed the last few days, early in the morning, before the sun shines, and even in dull, cloudy weather, there are still a few Brown Hawker dragonflies flying around. Not something I expected to see in those conditions.


A quick visit round the north lake today, mainly to see how the swans are doing in the gully.
The appalling mess had been cleared from the picnic table yesterday; I'm guessing by the Parks Trust rangers. Well done to them, or whoever cleared it.


I did visit yesterday, and there were twelve Mute Swans swimming up and down the gully, and being harassed by an adult male, above them. Today, they were back to thirteen.
I noticed one had an orange leg ring, with the number 964, so when I get some information on him, I'll post here.



A short visit and post today. I can't get motivated. 









Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Blackcap [sp] (Sylvia atricapilla)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)


Total species  25


5 comments:

  1. You may be a bit down at the moment but the Green Woodpecker should have cheered you up.
    Hope you sort whatever it is soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder where she/he has been, funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith.... Motivation,whats that? ..my mind says "go",but my body says "no" lol!!
    I feel so bad for those Swans...do you think they are getting enough to eat??
    I can see that the young Mallards are getting enough to eat : }}
    Hugs
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Keith! BOY those ducklings are growing like weeds, they;re so big! ITS a shame that Rangers have to waste their time cleaning up behind retards when the swans need A hand right now to get out of that small space, there is NOT enough food there I bet! Hope the rest of the week gives you some inspiration. I went to a memorial service for my best friends mom today she passed away suddenly..Such a shock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Adrian.
    Thanks for the call too.

    Bob, as soon as I know, I'll post.
    My guess is it was ringed in Bedford.

    Thanks Grace. Yea, the motivation, the spark; everything has left lol
    I'm hoping the swans are getting plenty of food.

    Sondra, sorry to hear about your friends mum.
    I've e-mailed the Parks Trust about the swans, telling them of my concerns for them. I'm sure they are aware, but it will be interesting to see if any action is taken. There seems to be plenty of food/weed in the gully, and I'm guessing a few people are feeding them too.

    ReplyDelete