Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Monday, 2 July 2012

Wet and windy

What a difference a day makes. After yesterdays sun, it was back to rain today.


My main purpose to visit this morning was to top up the feeders.
Having done that I quickly made my way round the north lake, to see if the female Mute Swan was still swimming in the channel of water, up near the weir.
She was.  I'm sure she'll get back on the lake eventually though.
A couple of handfuls of seed to help out with her limited diet, and then off to see the Common Tern on the boat.

As I thought, she is sitting on an egg, or eggs. I managed a glimpse of at least one egg, when she stood up to take some food from the male. I reckon at least a couple of weeks before they hatch; and then a dangerous 4 week period before they can fly.


Hope they have more success this time.








Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Common Swift [sp] (Apus apus)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Sedge Warbler (Acrocephalus schoenobaenus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  22


5 comments:

  1. A lovely Summer's day Keith?

    That Swan looks like she's starting to fret a little, let's hope she finds her way out soon. The Common Tern looks ever so exposed out there on it's own, hope they have more success this time around...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith, the weather is miserable here too and although yesterday was mainly dry we didn't get much sun at all, such a disappointing year. Poor old swan! Such a shame to see her 'trapped' there, I do hope she gets back soon.

    I hope the Common Tern has better luck this time but it is such an exposed site!

    Sorry to have missed commenting on yesterday's post, I watched the video but got called away before I could comment. Lovely to see and hear the Sedge Warbler and I loved the photo you took of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A typical English summer Trevor. :-)
    I rang the Parks Trust today about the swan, and they've been keeping an eye on it the last few days. On Wednesday they'll let me know if they'll do something more. It's feeding ok at the moment.

    Thanks Jan. I think the swan will be ok. The Sedge Warbler is doing some great posing at the moment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't seem to be any end to it Bob.

    ReplyDelete