Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 27 July 2012

Stupidity and matches don't mix

Another warm sunny day; but just a quick visit, as I was expecting a parcel.

As I topped up the feeders, the Mallard with the ducklings, and the piebald one, gave me a treat, as they came over for some food. I couldn't resist them, and gave them a couple of handfuls for their bravery.

Walking around just the north lake, and more signs of summer vandalism.




Rubbish, and the remains of five barbecues. These mindless morons shouldn't be allowed matches; or not until they grasp the fact that a hot barbecue on a wooden picnic table, will burn.




Spoils it not only for themselves, but for others too.



The Common Terns have calmed down a bit now, after the loss of their chick.
They were still flying around, but not dive bombing me this morning.

And up by the weir, a Grey Heron stood on the railings.




I think he must have been asleep, because he didn't move as I took his picture, and some video.



Finally, back over the road bridge, and home; in time for my parcel.









Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)

Total species  21


10 comments:

  1. It's good to see the lake again. It's good to have reasonable broadband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet to see the ducklings & cygnets doing so well...
    shame about the mess the uncaring are leaving behind..>I Just DONT get it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith, I've just enjoyed going through the videos I missed this week. Such a disappointment about the Tern chicks although sadly I feared it might happen :-(

    The apparently headless Heron made me smile :-)

    I really don't understand the mentality of the idiots who decide to go somewhere beautiful and then leave it looking ugly, how on earth were they dragged up. I saw those discarded barbecues at a beauty spot here a few days ago, I despair, I really do...it makes me so sad...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sondra. Yea these litter louts are a real pain, and they constantly get away with it.

    Thanks Jan. Yea, unfortunately the Terns were always going to struggle nesting there. I wonder if the Parks Trust could make a safer Tern raft for nesting. I'll ask.
    I think those BBQ's should be banned. They just encourage litter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The common element in the world is the mindless moron!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely 'family' video clip at the start. The range of zoom of the fag dangling fisherman is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so annoying and happens everywhere Keith.. many thanks for your kind comments re Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks John. Yea, this little pocket camera has an excellent zoom range.

    Andrew I know what I'd like to do with them.
    I hope your mum get her operation soon. It must be very stressful at the moment.

    ReplyDelete