Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 20 July 2012

Quick visit


Dull, again; but it doesn't stop the mozzy's from bighting.


A quick look over at Cormorant island before I set off round the north lake, and it seems one of the cygnets has gone missing. I could only count four. Maybe the other was with his dad?


As I began to go under the road bridge, a couple of Reed Warblers caught my attention, as they noisily made their way through the reeds. I think they were probably young ones.

The Common Tern still sits on her nest; today in the company of three Mallards.

Up towards the pub, and a juvenile Green Woodpecker caught my eye as he probed the grass, and went from tree to tree in search of food.




A few geese were grazing as I walked down towards the pub, and a group of Greylag's were along the edge of the path. Amongst them, a Cormorant.





As I made my way closer, he seemed a little wary at first, and then as the geese began to move away, he decided his cover had been blown.






Over the road bridge, and back to the car park.




Quick visit this morning. Doctors later; it's called a cardiac clinic, where I get the results of the blood test, and a lecture about my lifestyle.









Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Common Swift [sp] (Apus apus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Eurasian Reed Warbler [sp] (Acrocephalus scirpaceus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)

Total species  27


10 comments:

  1. Great shot and video of the Green Woodpecker Keith. And I guess the 'target' Swan could say that he was outflanked!!

    You never told me there were trolls under that bridge!!...lol.

    Good luck with the telling off...er!..Doctors visit later...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm as green as the woodpecker. A wonderful sight and capture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Trevor.
    Yea, a mildish telling off.
    Blood pressure and cholesterol were high'ish, and cut down on the drink. Just what I expected really.

    Thank you Adrian. It was good to see him so bold for a while. Managed a few pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its probably a bit late to give you a lecture about your lifestyle Keith.{:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos today Keith! And I particularly enjoyed seeing the juvenile GW on the video.

    I cut out the red wine and cheese for a while...but!!.....maybe I'll do better when I'm a grown up ;-) Seriously though Keith do take it easy, we want you trotting (limping?) round that lake for a very long time yet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Keith...I don't think you have to worry about any troll's under the bridge lol they probably don't want anything to do with tough old
    bugger ; }!!
    What a comical Green woodpecker with his head popping up and down : }
    Great shot of the Cormorant !!
    Well I guess you are still standing so I wonder what you will be told by the Doc!!
    Hugs my friend!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jan.
    Yea, I find it hard to get the right balance. Everything I enjoy is bad for me, so I'm told. Think I'd sooner die happy though ;-)

    Grace, I always hear those trolls mumbling when I cross that bridge. lol
    Well the doc didn't have any surprises for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see the Green Woodpecker. Woodies seem to be popping up everywhere this week ;)

    I'm with you Keith - no point in being super healthy and miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers John. Yea seems there are a few about at the moment.

    ReplyDelete