Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 2 March 2012

A foggy morning, butchers, and a weed dance.

Second day of thick fog, making it difficult to see what's on the lake.

A group of Mallards were waiting at the car park, as I pulled up; quickly followed by some Magpies and Crows. I think they'll be knocking on my door next.

I put a new feeder up this morning; a big, mixed seed one, since that is what seems to be going mostly, at the moment. Hopefully I can get away for a few days next week, and it will last them till I get back.

The Mallards were running towards me at the road bridge; they must have been waiting too.

I noticed some small blue flowers growing along the edge of the path.



 Since I got home, I looked them up, and I reckon they are Ground-ivy.


And amongst the Dogwood, I think a willow, bursting into bud.




A quick flash of a Kingfisher as he flew from the reeds this morning. Very lucky to see him in the thick fog.


It seems the butchers, or landscapers, have been at it again. Big areas of bushes have been hacked to the ground. Not sure why it's being done now, coming up to nesting time, but I'm sure there must be a very good reason.
Maybe.


A group of Mute Swans posed for a while, as they stretched their necks out on the water taking a drink.




Up at the top end of the lake, a pair of Goosanders were a chance find, only because they were swimming near the edge. There didn't appear to be very much else out on the water.
And up towards the pub, the butchers/landscapers had been at it again. A big area of bushes has now gone.


Under the road bridge, and on round the south lake.


I did walk round yesterday, (no post, because I visited my mum straight after), and there was no sign of the Crows; but today one did put in an appearance, so he got the apple all to himself.

No idea what was out on the water, but at the bird hide, the Robin was soon investigating what I was doing there.



He's soon learnt I have food too.



Past the offices, and close to the edge of the lake I spotted a pair of Great Crested Grebes indulging in some head waggling. I started to video them, hoping they would carry on to the full weed dance. I was in luck. Such a fantastic sight to witness.


A cygnet was drinking, which gave me a few pictures,




and out in the fog, an adult was just lazily swimming around. More pictures.





Finally, back at the feeders, a quick look before I left for home; but nothing much happening there.









Full list of today's sightings
  
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  35

9 comments:

  1. I agree, the 'butchers chop' does looks pretty drastic but I'm sure it will spur everything to put on new fresh growth. Great to see the dancing Grebes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Frank. The grebes are spectacular to watch. As for the 'pruning', I think it's the wrong time of year, and far too drastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the twig with nice buds on it, tremendous. And, the Mute Swans getting a drink, superb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bob.
    I had a good morning, despite the dull weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super images of the Mute Swans Keith.

    Yeh, the 'butchers' were out in force around the North lake yesterday chainsaws and shredders going full pelt, hence I didn't see many birds, the noise had scared them all away!!

    Well done with the weed dance video, great capture!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last mute shot in the mist is really great Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Trevor.
    There will be no trees left soon, at this rate.

    Thanks Roy. I'll be glad when all this fog decides to leave though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is a very thick fog for sure...you got some great stills of the swans and the little robin so cute...I hope that new feeder will keep them fed while you're away--those little mallards are running to meet you these days.
    that is a very close cut on those bushes...geeze
    LOL saw that apple core go flying lol that was neat, and mr crow getting the prize!!
    Hope you have a great trip---

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Sondra. The new feeder had quite a bit out of it this morning; they obviously like it lol
    The chainsaw massacre goes on. Madness this time of the year, when birds are looking for nest sites.

    ReplyDelete