Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Tuesday, 21 February 2012

The Trees

A cloudy start to the day, but eventually the sun came out; and blue skies.


Topped up the seed feeders, and then had a look at the tree situation on the south lake, through the binoculars. It seems they've chopped the ones by the rowing club. But more on that later.


Passing under the road bridge, after feeding my pair of Mallards that were waiting, I made my way towards the island on the north lake. I soon found the Kingfisher, in his usual spot, having a good preen.


Something I noticed today, but unfortunately didn't manage to capture on video, or with the camera, was some behaviour by the Great Crested Grebes.
I spotted one on the water, with his wings outstretched, as though in some sort of threat posture. 
(Only ever seen this once before, and that was a family group.)
Pretty soon another grebe surfaced with some weed, and then they began the head waggle; and then swam away from each other.
A different variation on the weed dance? Certainly interesting to see.

A group of Redwings were up in the trees, just past the island, and some Wigeon were grazing with a group of Canada Geese.

At the top end of the lake, two male Goosander in the distance, and as I got closer, they swam further away. Typical!

Round past the pub, a Grey Wagtail was on the grass, along with a Pied Wagtail. Interesting to see them both together.
Under the road bridge, the Mallards found me again, and then the Crows turned up for their treat.


The sun was shining in a clear blue sky by now, and a beautiful morning.


A few Mute Swans flying around,


Cormorants overhead, and birds singing from the bushes; perfect.


A small group of Long Tailed Tits were flitting amongst the trees, making it hard for some pictures.




I counted three Little Grebe at the far end of the lake, a Heron, and a couple of Gadwall. As I had a quick coffee, an inquisitive Robin appeared, to give me the once over.
He was soon happy, so I was on my way again.


Just past the offices, a small group of Siskin were doing their hardest to hide behind the twigs in the trees and bushes. I tried for a few pictures; but difficult.




(Something about this one I like)


And then it was on toward the rowing club, the houses, and the trees.

Some hefty pruning has been done to a couple of trees by the rowing club, and they were setting up for another days work in front of the houses.

I stopped and spoke to two young men that were getting ready to start their day, and asked what was happening.
The trees are planted in pairs,



and I'm told, the trees roots are presenting a problem for the houses that were built behind them.




Under the 5 to 10 year plan, the ones nearest the houses would be replaced with something less vigorous, and then eventually the others in the pair.

I suggested maybe leave the trees, and knock down the houses?

True professionals, they remained non committal, but did smile at the suggestion.
(probably thought I was the local nutter, and best to humour this old bloke)

I then suggested maybe some Alder trees to replace them; a lot of birds seem to enjoy them, especially Siskins.
I also mentioned about the nests in some of the trees, and they said that if any birds appear to be nesting, they will have to leave the trees intact.
I mentioned a Magpie was building a nest further round, so we'll see if they are true to their word.

It does seem a shame that the trees should suffer though, because of either thoughtless planning when they were planted, or thoughtless planning by McCann Homes when they built the houses.


Passing the houses, a male Goosander suddenly took to the air.



(my second favourite shot of the day)


Back at the car park, and a couple of Siskin were on the feeders,



a Blackbird was posing like a real star,




a Wren in the bushes by the footbridge,




and in the bushes across from the footbridge, a lovely male Bullfinch, doing his own pruning, by nipping the buds off.


Another fantastic morning.







Full list of today's sightings
  
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  42


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful birds, my fave is the flying Goosander, that is wonderful.
    The trees........ they would shoot me if I thought about it, tree killers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice set of images and video from this morning Keith. I really like the Goosander in flight shot.

    Did I understand this correctly, are they going to remove those trees completely or are they going to leave them looking like vandalised totem poles?

    The whole situation just smacks of bad planning from the outset in my opinion!! Still I guess the people with the big brains know best!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I wonder what sort of a duh brain decided to plant the 'wrong' sort of trees there and did he have an 'ology' I wonder. I loved your suggestion of cutting the houses down instead....eminently sensible I thought ;-)

    Anyway another enjoyable video and lovely photos, my favourite was the Wren today although it is always difficult to choose.

    Rather a coincidence that earlier today I saw the grebe action that you describe mentioned somewhere else and they called it the 'cat display'. Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw it but have found a photo of it on the following site. I'm afraid you will have to copy and paste it into your address bar as I can't remember how to do the HTML code to make it into a link.

    http://www.akellyphoto.com/html/features/grebes/grebes-cat-display2.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bob. Glad you like the Goosander; one of my favourites too.

    I'm not exactly sure what is going to happen to the totem poles Trevor.
    Maybe they'll be decorated for May Day, and we can all dance round them.
    At the moment is does look a mess though.

    Jan, it must take a certain type of education to make these decisions; one that does not involve common sense or logical thought.
    Thanks for that link. Exactly the display I saw. I hope I can capture it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I really like that second Siskin shot Keith, very special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH God Forbid that Nature should come before Man--geeze.Well I think you made some good suggestions Keith...Meanwhile you have some really stellar shots on your post today....
    that new Grebe dance sounds interesting...maybe next time You'll catch it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Roy. A bit of effort to get that one, but I think it paid off.

    Thanks Sondra. I'll see how much more destruction there is later this morning.
    That Grebe dance does look special. I think I'm going to have to stake a pair out, and watch them for a while.
    I'd love to get some pictures and video.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your friends will now recognize.
    Wonderful the third photo.
    The subject is watching you and seems to want to communicate.
    The morning begins with optimism when it is fruitful nature of meetings.
    An oasis that deserves all the attention and loving care to be preserved.
    And here comes the man's hand to remove the trees.
    When we become insensitive to the Mother Earth.
    Yet we try the house where we are surrounded by greenery.
    Refreshes us, but we want to modify to our liking, what is in that place before we will we take possession.
    A pleasure to scroll through the video and read your divenire.ù
    Days are nice for you
    Thanks ..
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Niki.
    Some of these birds learn very quickly that I have food :-)
    It is sad to see areas of the world destroyed to just make things look 'nice' to our eyes. We forget about the other creatures that try to live with us.

    ReplyDelete