Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 22 February 2012

The trees are going

Dull, cloudy, and windy.


The birds were all waiting for their breakfast this morning; Magpies, Crows, and Mallards. As I was still putting food down, they were turning up to eat what was there.
They can't be that hungry surely? I think they are recognising me as the man with food.

Certainly under the road bridge.
I can't get very far before I'm surrounded by Mallards; and the same ones every day.
It's a feeling that is hard to describe..............but a great feeling. I hope I never let them down.

Up by the island on the north lake, I searched for the Kingfisher; but no sign of him this morning. Tufted Duck, and Great Crested Grebes were in the majority; and even the grebes were not performing this morning.

Passing the island, I found a group of Redwing, foraging in the grass, stealing the worms from the Blackbird. I think he'll be glad when they bugger off for the spring.

At the top end of the lake, I spotted a pair of Goosander; but always on the far side of the lake. I'm sure they do this on purpose.

Gadwall, Tufted, Wigeon, Pochard and Coot were the main birds on the water, with a few Canada Geese and Cormorants.

I heard today that the government, the bunch of miscreants supposedly in charge of this once great country, are considering a cull of Cormorants in the summer.
The reason? Cormorants are better at fishing than fishermen.
Well at least they don't leave hooks and line to trap other birds on the water.
Stand by for a petition against this utterly stupid decision.

Towards the pub, a Green Woodpecker was searching for ants.




At least people don't go looking for ants, so this is bird is safe.............at the moment.


Past the pub, the Lesser Black-backed Gull was foraging with a couple of Pied Wagtails; and then the Malards appeared. They must have built in radar.
After feeding them, it was the turn of the Crows, who must have the same built in radar.

A pair of interlopers turned up too, but were quickly dispatched by one of the regulars.

At the bottom end of the lake, a group of Black-headed Gulls, along with a few Common Gulls, and three Little Grebes skulking in the reeds.

Past the rowing club, and towards the houses.

Hmmm. The destruction goes on.

The trees are now being chopped down completely.

These once magnificent living life forms, are being killed off  for, ................................ I'm buggered if I know!!
I'm told they will all go. Even the ones that are far from the houses, have gone already.





Madness!!


I've sent an e-mail to the local paper asking why, but I doubt I will get a reply.
So sad to see life extinguished like this, for no apparent reason.

A couple of Mute Swans took to the air, and gave me something else to photograph.




Back at the car park, a last look at the feeders, and surrounding bushes.


I hate Milton Keynes!












Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Eurasian Sparrowhawk [sp] (Accipiter nisus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  41

14 comments:

  1. We are planting new trees all over the UK and I remember so clearly planting a tree with my Grandpa in 1983. Plant a tree in 83 was the slogan.

    I hope you do find out why they are coming down.. I would love to know why..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another excellent video Keith, wonderful footage of the House Sparrow.

    As for the tree situation...it's very depressing that Milton Keynes in it's promotional blurb makes a big thing about how many trees,shrubs and green spaces it has, yet here it is destroying trees that have just about come into there prime, and for no apparrent reason appart from bad planning in the first place. just pure bloody madness!!

    And now our Cormorants are for the chop!! Seems to me peple in power are intent on not only messing us up financialy they now want to destroy what was once our 'green and pleasant land'...[:-{ Sorry for the rant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, I think I asked some awkward questions of the press; I'll publish any reply, but I doubt I'll get one.
    It's criminal what is happening in this so called 'city'. I hate the place.

    Trevor, couldn't agree more. It's probably just as well the wind drowned out some of my commentary.
    And the tossers supposedly in charge must be made up of the hunting fraternity. Why kill Cormorants? They fish to live.
    I'm hating this world more every day. I'll be glad when I check out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not this government surely, they are nice people, yeah, lousy Con mem and women. They will kill Cormorants and they think the trees for what???? And the NHS, our NHS?
    Sorry, I'll try and get back to the birds, they are the most beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keith...I told you that you where welcome ,and now look your stuff there with the "chainsaw massacre" at Caldecotte Lake in Milton Keynes..lol..Yes I am sure it was a good thing the wind was blowing, to bad you didn't realize you was being drowned out you could have had a real cursing out!!
    Those Mallards are a riot ..I think you should start training them to do tricks ..then you and the ducks could go on the road with your act!! lol
    Hugs and try not to stress!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a really great job filming today Keith.
    That wind was very strong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keith, we need people LIKE you to speak out and lead the charge...I feel your pain and ive been in your shoes and sometimes the world bangs right up against us in a way that we cant make sense of it...I dont understand WHAT kind of mooron wants to Kill Cormorants...That fish pond is there for them...NOT for grown men with line and hooks and Grocery stores chock full of FISH already HARVESTED from the oceans and such..is enough ever gonna be enough??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bob, this bunch in office should remember that it's the people who put them there. I doubt they will get back in; but I think all the parties are as bad as each other.

    Thanks Grace. Yea, the Mallards are fantastic. So funny how they follow me round.

    Thanks Roy. I forget sometimes that the wind will drown out what I'm trying to say. Probably just as well in this instance though lol

    I've found out that it's the fishermen who want the cull. The Cormorants are better at fishing. But they catch fish to live, unlike the fishermen. We already kill 3,000 a year in this country; they want to increase it.
    A sad, selfish world we are living in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry Sondra, that last comment was in response to yours. Forgot to put your name there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know that here in Italy, just today I read in the hunt for "Cormorant."
    Be the most important sport fishing that the welfare of wildlife.
    The beautiful "Green Woodpecker", never seen before..
    Nice to know that your friends are waiting for the food and recognize you..
    It's not nice, however, know that they're cutting down trees to build.
    Civilization is not in harmony with Mother Earth..
    The good of your day.
    In the pictures you see..
    Nice flight!
    Good day to You
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know how you feel Keith. When plots of land in the village here are sold for single house development the first thing that happens is the large trees on the boundary are cut down - just so the new owners can erect a neat six foot fence to isolate themselves from the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The longer I live the more disillusioned I get.
    A man's worst enemy is his own government, it seems. Having just been robbed of trees by my neighbours, [both on their land and mine]I share your pain.
    Surely the people in those flats are protesting?

    I hope you are finding pleasure in your decision to retire.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My blood pressure has risen umpteen notches after seeing your post, Keith! I too heard about the Cormorant cull and apparently over 16,000 twerps have signed a petition calling FOR one, all anglers I expect.

    The tree thing makes no sense whatsoever...pathetic!!

    Then the litter and you know my views on that but just as worrying is the thought that the particular people you mentioned may not have only been catching fish but possibly water fowl. Apparently it has become quite common in this country for swans in particular and water fowl in general to be slaughtered here by people from the part of the world you mentioned and I have long suspected something illegal goes on at night at some of the places I visit.

    And that Woodpecker isn't safe, someone will want to cull them for making holes in trees...oh, silly me I forgot, all the trees are being cut down anyway...

    I have always thought that if there is such a place as hell, we are already in it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Niki. Mankind seems intent on destroying this planet and its wildlife. Maybe nature will fight back one day.

    John, it's become a sad world to live in now.

    Hannah, I'm of the same opinion as your first sentence.
    I don't think any complaining will make a difference; I'm told the trees are going.

    Jan, the petition was by anglers. The birds are better at fishing than they are, and they're upset. I think we should have a petition on behalf of the Cormorants.
    The tree cutting was still going on today; but I've not done a post. Maybe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete