Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 25 February 2012

Quick visit.

An update on the RSPB from yesterday first.

I thought I had a response from them, but no. It was from someone called Bob who visits the lake.
He'd seen my blog, and kindly found an address for me, which was ......

Gemma Butlin
Media Manager (Acting)
Telephone  01767 693489
E-mail   gemma.butlin@rspb.org.uk
  
so, thanks Bob, appreciate that.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~

A lovely sunny morning, and very mild. Despite the good conditions though, I only managed the north lake. Some good birds about though; a couple of Bullfinches in the bushes near the footbridge, and I managed to find the Kingfisher on the island. His favourite spot I think.

Good to see some blossom out now on the trees.



 I think this might be Hawthorn?


The boats were out in force, and the Tufted Duck and Wigeon were busily flying around, looking for somewhere to get a bit of peace.

Up at the top end, quite a group seeking sanctuary on the arm that goes behind the pub. Amongst the group, a pair of Goosander. Always good to see them.

By the time I'd reached the pub, I decided to cut short the walk, and head back over the road bridge to the car park.

A Song Thrush posed for a while, by the footbridge,




and not to be outdone, a female Blackbird began posing briefly.






Short visit, but good.








Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  38


12 comments:

  1. Great news that you got
    with the report here.
    Surprisingly the first flowers.
    And I had never seen so close to the female of "Blackbird".
    Elegant pose.
    Your friends always very hungry and taken.
    And I see a lot of movement of boats.
    The quiet is not always possible for friends of the lake.
    The Spring shows little signs, but very welcome.
    Nature renews ogli days.
    A picture that changes forever.
    Nice day for you ..
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  2. All glorious pics Keith 'top blossom'

    ReplyDelete
  3. dang boat people!! the birds look great tho and its nice to see some flower on the trees...Take care of that knee!! A beautiful photo of the Song Thrush and the blackbird too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith...I am so jealous that you have tree's in bloom..it snowed 6 inch here last night, but with the temp's heading up into the 40f it won't stay around long..
    I think your blossoms look like wild plum or cherry...I couldn't see any thorns like the Hawthorn has,but your probably right!!
    Those ducks now know the sound of your car..so you may have to turn it off and let it just roll in..lol..; ]
    Well that bloody : } Squirrel didn't get the can of the top though did he, but he was trying ; }!
    Hugs I hope that knee feels better
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keith...I am so jealous that you have tree's in bloom..it snowed 6 inch here last night, but with the temp's heading up into the 40f it won't stay around long..
    I think your blossoms look like wild plum or cherry...I couldn't see any thorns like the Hawthorn has,but your probably right!!
    Those ducks now know the sound of your car..so you may have to turn it off and let it just roll in..lol..; ]
    Well that bloody : } Squirrel didn't get the can of the top though did he, but he was trying ; }!
    Hugs I hope that knee feels better
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of these days the Mallards will be greeting you with a chorus of 'Why are we waiting' lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely images of the thrushes Keith..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Niki. The boats are out every weekend, which does cause some disturbance to the birds. Thankfully they seem to tolerate it quite well.
    Hopefully more signs of spring soon. :-)

    Thanks for the ID Roy. I thought it might be. I'm not very good with plants though. I need to start brushing up on my ID's ready for spring.

    Thanks Debbie. It was lovely to see the trees in flower like this. :-)

    Thank you Sondra. Yea, I curse the boat people every weekend; but they still come back lol

    Thanks Grace. I hope we've seen the last of the snow for here. Soon be March. :-)
    I think you're right about the ducks knowing the sound of the car; or else they're psychic lol
    I might stop one of the tablets again, see how the knee performs. I'm sure it's a side effect.

    John, I reckon you could be right. There's quite a group of birds waiting at the car park now.

    Thanks Andrew. The sunshine made a big difference. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to be back. I think it's Blackthorn. I thought Hawthorn blossomed after the leaves appeared.
    Good luck with Gemma Butlin. She is only acting media manager. let us hope she is not pretending.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see the Hawthorn blossom Keith, I guess Spring is well and truly on its way?

    Super shots of the Song Thrush and Blackbird.

    Bloody boats!! I guess this will be the norm for the weekends, now that the weather is changing?...[:-{

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adrian, I think you're right. After checking a couple of books, which I should have done in the first place), my money's on Blackthorn. Flowers before the leaves. Cheers. And good to see you back.
    I hope Gemma does act. ;-)

    Cheers Trevor. Yea, spring has sprung; at last.
    No boats this morning. Maybe they were all at church?

    ReplyDelete