Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Mild and Goosander

Very mild this morning, and the snow is going fast, despite trying to fall some more.

More of the lake is thawing too, which is good news for the birds that rely on it.

Yesterday was spent backing up the computer, which crashed twice, for some reason. It also meant I couldn't get anything else done, that needed doing. Bloody computers!

Back to today though, and much milder, but unfortunately quite foggy first thing, which was a pain for trying to take pictures.
A lot of gulls in the roost, on the south lake, and lots of geese, that made a wonderful racket when they left in search of breakfast.

The feeders hadn't gone down very much, which is good, I guess, but the Crows and Magpies soon found the bread and biscuit I left by the car park.

Mallards followed me as I passed under the road bridge, to go round the north lake, so I had to stop and feed them.

Up by the next foot bridge, a Mallard had found a fish, and was enjoying herself, despite being harassed by a bunch of Black-headed Gulls.




Eventually a Crow spoilt the fun, swooping down, and stealing her prize. Oh well.

The area of thawed lake on the way to the top end, has grown, and quite a large number of ducks and geese were taking advantage of it.
A Mute Swan seemed quite happy to harass the group of Canada Geese, which eventually flew off, to seek somewhere quieter.
A group of Wigeon were happily grazing on the grass, by the edge of the lake,




along with a few Canada Geese,




and two Kingfishers flew along the edge of the lake, as I made my way to the top end.

The top end still remains frozen; and no birds present. Hopefully it will all soon thaw, and give them their lake back.


Onto the south lake, and a gang of Mallards accosted me, wanting food. A good job I had a few slices of bread in my pocket, or there's no knowing what one particular female would have done.
The gang were soon satisfied, and I was able to make my way south.

A pair of Goosander were swimming in an area of unfrozen water, and a group of gulls were out on the ice, in the middle of the lake.



(one for the gull spotters)


I think the kids must be on half term holiday, judging by the amount of snowmen that are around the lake; but the prize has to go to the igloo, built at the far end of the south lake.




An excellent piece of work.



Making my way past the rowing club, I quickly found another Goosander, and then more..........eventually 6 in total.

Back at the feeders, a group of Mallard were picking up the fallen seed, with the help of a couple of Moorhen. And the sun was making an appearance.


Another excellent morning.









Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Common Buzzard [sp] (Buteo buteo)
Water Rail [sp] (Rallus aquaticus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  41

13 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the igloo wins the prize, marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing well for Goosander there Keith!

    The igloo would make a great bird hide :-)

    Poor Mrs Mallard, losing her fish! One of these days those Mallards are going to end up in your car, I'm sure!

    By the way on your last post I thought the photo of the two Mute Swans was really beautiful, very artistic, a prize winner in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a bit of a mixed bag, weather wise, this morning Keith? The birds made up for it though by putting on another good show for you.

    Great video footage of the Goosanders.

    Mrs Mallard looked really fed up at loosing her fish! And as for that Mallard 'gang' I'm sure they'll be following you home before too long!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog and videos, I may not leave a message but I watch your videos every time you post. Great work my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bob. Yea, I thought it was brilliant too.

    Jan, thank you. The Goosander certainly seem to like it here.
    Those Mallards are amazing; I just have to stand still for a moment, and suddenly they are round my feet lol

    Trevor, as usual, the sun came out as I left lol
    A couple of Mallards wait by the car park some mornings, for the seed and bread. Pretty smart, these birds.

    Thank you Horst. It's always good to know when people are reading the blog. A number of people I see round the lake seem to know me from this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Keith...Wonderful walk this morning, and a wonderful laugh for me, and I love hearing you laugh..
    The Geese sitting on the knoll along the path must have watching you and your parade of Mallards lol..to funny!!
    I wish I had the chance to see this post before I went for my eye doctor's appointment today I could have used a good laugh before I went!!
    Some great birds around, and glad the ice is melting for there sake!!
    Hugs Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. the Igloo is amazing eh? That fog sure burned off fast and it was great to see the goosanders enjoying the open water. Great trip around Keith with your entourage of Mallards!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Grace.
    Hope you're appointment went well.

    Thank you Sondra. The igloo was a work of art. Quite big inside, and warm too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Goosanders. It looks chilly down there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you are faring better than us weather wise. Melting snow freezes hard making life difficult and a threat of more to come.
    With all the gulls there it sometimes sounds more like Whitby.
    Love the igloo - very imaginative construction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was pretty cold yesterday Adrian, today it feels colder still. I love seeing these Goosanders; and today, there were even more.

    John, most of our snow has gone, but I'm told there is more on the way.
    The igloo was fantastic. I take my hat off to whoever built it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me and my partner visit coldecotte lake every weekend for a long walk and a look at the wildlife and Sunday 12th Feb was a marvellous day! The park looked beautiful in the frost and the remainder of the snow, to make it even better it was my 30th Birthday! The Goosander and Widgeons were a real treat - we also loved the sound of all the geese taking off and the beauty of the lakes - Coldecotte is the place to be as one birder told me before - he was right

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anon, it certainly is. Glad you enjoy your visits.

    ReplyDelete