Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 24 February 2012

Friday 24th February 2012

Some days a little something can happen, that really pisses off my whole day. I shouldn't let these little things get to me, but yesterday was one of them; hence no post. 
Today is another; but I'll post.


I've made another lemonade bottle nyger seed feeder; the Mark 2 version, with proper perches. I put that up this morning, so we'll see how this one goes.

The Crows and Magpies made short work of the biscuit this morning, along with an extra treat, a couple of handfuls of grapes. They went in about 10 minutes.

The Mallards were under the bridge, and after feeding them, I made my way round the north lake. All the regulars about, apart from seeing a Kingfisher, and a couple of Green Woodpeckers doing the cross bill swordfight routine. Unfortunately by the time the video camera had kicked in ready, they'd stopped, and decided to eat ants instead.
Never mind.

Past the pub, the Mallards caught up with me again, and then the Crows further along.

At the far end of the lake, a healthy looking population of Moles seem to be in evidence. Let's hope the 'slaughter brigade' don't insist on a cull of these little animals, because they make the grass look 'untidy'.


I found a pair of Magpies busily nest building in one of the trees, and it will be good to watch their progress.


Unfortunately, the one's that were nest building in one of the trees in front of the houses will not be so lucky.
Despite being reassured any nesting birds would be left alone, (the law), their tree has now become a large stump, and probably later today will become shredded, like the rest.


Back at the feeders, they were quite busy; until I got the camera out, and then they all hid. Never mind.










Full list of today's sightings
  
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  35


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(regarding the proposed slaughter of the Cormorants, urged on by a petition handed in by 16,000 fishermen, I feel an e-mail is needed to the RSPB, to get them to organise a counter petition on behalf of their million plus members. As a paying member of this bunch, I think it's about time they started speaking up on behalf of some of the birds in this country, and taking some action here, rather than getting too involved in overseas issues. Charity should begin at home. If anyone else agrees, why not drop them an e-mail too. I've searched all over their website for an e-mail address, and the best I can find is a link.  http://www.rspb.org.uk/contactus/form.aspx?subject=0&f=1   They don't make it easy to get in touch with them.

Or phone:  01767 680551 That's their headquarters in Sandy, Bedfordshire)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Update


I've since had a response from my e-mail. 
I suggest anyone that wishes to get in contact, sends their concerns to 

Gemma Butlin

Media Manager (Acting)
at 
Telephone: 01767 693489

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


8 comments:

  1. Hi Keith...Well that piece of ground where the Moles are must be rich with what they like to eat by the looks of there digging!
    There used to be a lot of Commorant on the river ,but I rarely see one now..I do hope something can happen about the situation there!
    I think they are the most prehistoric looking bird that I know off..!!
    I know this upsets you but...
    Hugs
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith, try Here
    for the seed feeder.

    I know exactly what you mean about small things getting to you and spoiling the whole day, it happens to me frequently, comes of being far too sensitive I think :-( Life must be far easier for those who sail through it without a care for anything or anyone.

    I'll try the RSPB email but don't know whether we will get anywhere. I tried it with the Larsen traps and received a fence sitting reply. I'm a long time paying member too and agree totally about addressing issues in the UK. Apparently there is a Seal cull going on in Scotland, I despair...

    The butchers with the chain saws probably don't even know the makings of a birds nest when they see one, absolutely pathetic!

    Nice to see the little Robin on the video and of course your old pals the Mallards and Crows :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an employee who is 54 years old but mentally challenged to the age of about 9 or so depending on the subject. When he gets mad at someone or something you can hear him as he walks down the hall to his next task, “That made me mad, I don’t like that but I don’t like to be mad, it ruins my day so I am not going to be mad... “By the time I see him next, he has a big smile on his face and is happy once more. I have learned a lot from this man. Does not work for everything or every time but has made me a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the petition Keith, I will do that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to track down contact info for the RSPB, and I agree that it seems mostly they want your money and then they spend it on Huge Ad Campaigns and their salaries!!

    Sorry that the trees got axed,,,such a shame..and Fun to see Your Birds doing well, and hopefully they will continue to do well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Grace. There's quite a few mole hills round the lake; must be some good soil. :-)
    It would be good if a few people mailed the RSPB here; they might listen to a few members.

    Thanks for that link Jan. I'll give that a go. If the hole isn't too big, then it should work. Just hope the squirrel doesn't eat it though :-)

    Thanks Dale. I usually swear.....but, yea, I know what you mean. I find it hard not to get wound up sometimes though.

    Thanks Bob. Good luck with it. Let's hope they decide to do something.

    Sondra, I think you're dead right. Their headquarters at Sandy is very nice; but must cost a fortune to run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keith, don't get too pissed off and despondent about the chopping and the culling just think about all the beautiful sights and wildlife experiences that are still to come as you make your daily round of the lakes...[;o)

    I'm on the case with an email to the RSPB.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers Trevor. I think it's these tablets I'm on half the time; I get wound up too easily.
    Good luck with the e-mail. I've heard nothing yet.

    ReplyDelete