Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 11 February 2012

A Cold One




That must have been very cold last night; just one area on the south clear, two small areas on the north, and a bit under the road bridge.

After topping up the feeders, I met Marilyn, so we had a quick chat, before I went north, and she went south.

The Mallard gang were waiting, as I made my way under the road bridge. Luckily I'd put a bag of seed in my pocket, just in case.
Plenty of Greylag flying around this morning; probably looking for some water to land on.

Up in the trees, were big groups of Redwing and Fieldfare,





and at the edge of the island, a rather forlorn looking Heron, hunched up against the cold. I think they are finding it very hard at the moment, along with the Kingfishers.


It wasn't until I reached the top end of the lake, that a small area was unfrozen, and crowded with waterfowl.
A Grey Wagtail flew past, and further round, a couple of Pied Wagtail were foraging the frozen ground.


Past the pub,




and back under the road bridge, the Mallard gang were waiting.




They're getting to know I usually have food.




So to do the Crows. They were soon on the scene, waiting for their apple.


A marathon race was under way by now, with lots of runners from all parts of the country, judging by their labels they were wearing. No boats, but joggers instead.


The bottom end of the south lake, looked very barren. I noticed some prints in the ice, going out towards the island, and some coming back. I guess these were a fox, maybe searching for some food.

Past the rowing club, and dodging the now steady stream of runners, I looked out at the group of birds out on the ice, and the unfrozen patch.




All the usual gulls, Goosander, Gadwall, Pochard, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Great Crested Grebes...........even some Little Grebes amongst them all.





A few Mallard were flying around,



and a group of Mute Swans were making steady progress, walking across the ice,




but one young one seemed to be having a bit of trouble, and didn't look too happy with the situation.




Eventually, back at the car park, and the feeders.
A Great Spotted Woodpecker on the nuts, Siskin on the nyger seed, and Moorhen clearing up underneath.


A cold, but rewarding morning.









Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
British Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major anglicus)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  42


10 comments:

  1. Didn't spot the redwing - but proably in too much hurry by then! I'm glad I left before the runners got started - I have a memory of a very peaceful morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Swan still do not know you, and does not know that You are the bearer of food..
    Wonderful pictures..
    Emotional movie..
    Thank you..
    Best wishes...
    dandel├Čon

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's freezing here Keith but no snow and the funny thing is -4c in the morning and I don't have to defrost the windscreen.. weird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marilyn. The Redwings and Fieldfares are usually up by the self build houses. One house has a big berry laden tree in the drive, and there were loads in there.

    Thank you Nicki. Glad you enjoyed it.
    I think the swans will soon learn I have food :-)

    Andrew, my car was covered in frost this morning; even inside too lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a cold un here Keith. -10C when we went walkabout first thing.
    One of these days you will have some mallards joining you in the car ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful indeed Keith. What an absolute delight to see such a wondrous sight.

    It must have been bitterly cold even when you were out there walking, looking after the lake folk.

    Brilliant footage as always, I smile as I walk through it with you, the sounds induce a feeling of contentment, reminding me of many walks around similar lakes, funny how with that comes the scents of an early winters morn, taking me fully into the moment of sharing your stroll.

    A truly blissful beginning to my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI keith...that looks so strange to see you posting ice and snow...I think you getting winter in reverse..lol
    Sure is a lot of water birds packed in that little area..just amazing I feel bad for them..
    Where would they go from there to find open water??
    Love the Robins song ...so cheerful : }
    The Mallards make a lovely picture on the ice...how funny they are..lol!!
    Hugs my friend
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhh it really looked cold there today... I know the birds really appreciate the food you leave for them...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks John. Those Mallards are getting pretty smart. I already have Crows and Magpies waiting at the car park. Just a matter of time before they start to follow me home I think.

    Thank you Gemel. I'm glad you enjoy these wanderings round the lake. I always seem to see so much, and it's great to share it.

    Thanks Bob. I think they'd rather not be quite so cool though lol
    I'll be glad when it warms up a bit.

    Thank you Grace. Yea, winter isn't my favourite time to be out, although some days make for good picture opportunities.

    It took me ages to warm up Sondra.
    It's so good to see the birds enjoying the food I leave. I'm sure it helps a bit. :-)

    ReplyDelete