Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 12 February 2012

Careless Fishermen

It didn't seem so cold this morning, but it was dull, and a bit foggy.

The marathon is still going on, the Mallards were accosting me under the road bridge, and sadly, a young Mute Swan had a fisherman's hook in its mouth.
A sad sight to see, with the spinner hanging from its mouth.




I phoned the RSPCA...........not as straightforward as you might think, and eventually got through to someone, other than an automated , computerised voice, offering me numerous menu options, numerous times.
Whatever happened to the days when someone picked the phone up, and said,
"hello, can I help you?"

The whole thing kind of put a dampener on the morning, and after walking right round, I stopped off by the road bridge, 90 minutes later, to see if anyone had come to the rescue.




Unfortunately, no.








Full list of today's sightings
  
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Eurasian Sparrowhawk [sp] (Accipiter nisus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Stock Pigeon [sp] (Columba oenas)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
British Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major anglicus)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
British Jay (Garrulus glandarius rufitergum)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  45


9 comments:

  1. Yea, I've had that happened to me, but they came out. Just the one person, ugh. Great photos though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes the blood boil doesn't it. Keep us posted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I hope the RSPCA do turn up eventually Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so upsetting Keith, I guessed what it was when I saw it on my sidebar and hesitated about coming over as these things worry me so much but of course I had to, to see if you managed to get help for it (because I knew you would try), I hope they did send someone. Please do let us know what you find out. I won't tell you where I would like to put that fisherman's hook as it might make your eyes water, it certainly would his!!

    Normally I would have been very entertained by your gang of Mallards but as you said the swan incident rather took the shine off it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bob. I hope they came in this instance.

    Debbs, it was heartbreaking to see.
    I'll look out for him tomorrow. I don't have a great deal of faith in the RSPCA to be honest.

    Thanks Roy. I hope so too.

    Jan, up until I saw the swan, I was having a lovely morning. Some fishermen are just so thoughtless though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sad sight to see Keith... I was wandering around some local fishing pools yesterday and was delighted to see signs with a phone number to ring if any cygnets or swans were seen injured by the anglers.
    I hope your gets sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew, that's a great idea having the signs. I wonder if it's possible to have something like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sad not to be able to help a creature who needs.
    It endeavors to indicate no response.
    Already the snow has melted on the edge of the lake.
    And the little flock hungry friends.
    But the lake is still frozen, in part.
    The best thing that I observe in the video is the peaceful coexistence of more species.
    Thanks for sharing.
    A smile ..
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Niki. Hopefully the cygnet was rescued yesterday.
    The ice is slowly melting now, so the birds can begin to get their lake back.

    ReplyDelete