Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 8 February 2012

14 Goosander

Dull and cold this morning.

After topping up the feeders, I made my way round the north lake.
As I passed under the road bridge, a gang of Malllards were soon around my feet, waiting for food. One female was very friendly, practically standing on my boots to get fed first.

After feeding them, I made a hasty exit, and carried on. Up by the footbridge, the Heron was patiently waiting, until he was scared off by people crossing the bridge.
Shortly after, a Kingfisher flashed by, and disappeared into the trees.

A lot of Fieldfare were flying around this morning.



 Big groups, all around the lake.


Quite a few Redwing were moving around too.




Still a lot of the lake frozen, and the arm at the back of the pub, is still solid.


I was accosted by the Mallards again, as I passed under the road bridge, to make my way round the south lake. After feeding them the last of the bread I had, I noticed a pair of Shoveler feeding under the bridge.




Next to be fed were the Crows; and as I left them, I watched five Goosander fly in, and settle across the lake, by the rowing club.


The far end of the lake is still frozen, and as I stood gazing across the ice, a Water Rail flew from the island, and settled in the reeds.

Making my way towards the rowing club, I noticed a few more Goosander; and then a few more. An unbelievable 14 altogether!



Who knows how many for tomorrow?










Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Water Rail [sp] (Rallus aquaticus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  41

10 comments:

  1. I think you're a very lucky person.
    A natural paradise.
    a moving picture in which to move gently, to learn to respect the habitat of the wonderful creatures that live in this lake.
    And then, I think, that the poor creature pursues the owner of the food.
    Congratulations on shots and video..
    and the list of species
    a smile..
    dandel├Čon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith, the Goosanders are certainly favouring Caldecotte at the moment. Is that the most you've ever seen there?

    You got some great winter Thrush pictures this morning.

    And I think you must have made a good impression with 'Mrs Mallard', I reckon she's smitten with you!!...lol...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I said you were doing well for Goosanders yesterday but it just gets better! I wish I could get to see them at Draycote but I haven't been able to get there for a while.

    The Mallards chasing you do make me laugh:-)

    Perhaps some kind person is helping you out with bird seed, I know I would if I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicki, thank you. And thank you for following too. :-)

    Trevor, the Goosanders seem to get more every day. Yea, this is the most I've seen here at one time. That Mallard is amazing lol

    Thanks Jan. The Goosanders seem to really like it here at the moment.
    Those Mallards are so funny. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous of your Goosanders Keith... and the Fieldfares..
    Lovely birds to see..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Andrew. The Goosanders just seem to increase every day, and there were very large groups of Fieldfares moving around too. Big flocks were on the move in the nearby county of Herts. The cold spell is begining to hit some of the birds hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a large of Goosanders, you have to choose between them which one to take good shots. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bob. It's great to see so many in one place. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did see one female Goosander yesterday Keith and have heard about a couple more from other people. Can you send a few of your spare ones up here.{:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're certainly having good numbers of these, at the moment Roy. I never tire of seeing them.

    ReplyDelete