Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Two lakes; just.

A stunning sunrise this morning.




I had this idea of walking the north lake, then going over to Willen, for a quick look there, and then back here, for the south lake.

I guess that's why I was prescribed medication after the heart attack, so I could do simple things like that. When you don't take them, it becomes a struggle, as I found out.

The north lake had the usual crowd, apart from the diver; no sign of him.
I did see a Kingfisher though, while I was chatting to an ex work colleague.

I was soon on my way to Willen Lake; a little further north from here. It's always worth a visit, and tends to have a lot more waders than Caldecotte.

After climbing the 70 odd steps up, from the car park, and then down the hill towards the lake, I was beginning to feel a bit tired.

What I saw next made me feel a little deflated too. The local Parks Trust were taking some food over to the island, for the resident goats. Of all the days I choose to visit here, I pick this one. Oh well.

Obviously not much around the island, or the water across to it. A Buzzard flying overhead, and a lot of Coots and Teal in front of the hide; but that was about it.
At least I got to sit down though.

I decided I'd go back to Caldecotte, and just do the south lake.

The wind was quite strong by now, as I plodded along past the rowing club. It was getting to be hard work; especially as I was getting tired, and it was getting harder battling against the wind.

Siskins in the tree tops, and a female Goosander, gave me the kick to carry on though, after I'd had a quick rest on one of the benches.
After watching a Common Gull doing a rain dance on the grass, to attract some worms to the surface, I decided I'd make my way back to the car park.
The sit down had made me feel a bit dizzy.

By the time I'd reached the road bridge, although tired, I felt a bit better.
Maybe a slow walk round the north lake.

Another gull performing a rain dance, this time a Black-headed Gull, who successfully attracted a worm to the surface. A second Kingfisher, and a second female Goosander too.

A couple of quick shots of a Heron in the reeds,




and then thankfully the car park was in sight just ahead.



Made it; just.








Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Eurasian Sparrowhawk [sp] (Accipiter nisus)
Common Buzzard [sp] (Buteo buteo)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  44

11 comments:

  1. Glad you made it but remember that medication in future!
    I saw a kingfisher at Caldecotte for the first time just B4 Xmas - it was by the gazebo / bridge int he eastern part of the North Lake - where it "bulges" in to Walton Park. Haven'r seen it again though- but I did get excited for a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing rain dance the Gulls are performing and it really works. The early rain dance bird gets the worm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful sunrise Keith.. It's been lashing down all day in Manchester today and depression is setting in.. leaving home in dark and returning home in the dark (my commute is 60mins each way.
    I really can't wait for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sunrise shot Keith and a super heron head and neck shot. You really need to take it easier sometimes especially on days like that. That wind, its enough to take your breath away. You should have stayed home today I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well! A real tour de force here.
    Great video and still of the heron.
    The best bit though has to be the gulls. I've seen blackbirds dance for worms but never gulls.....Brilliant!
    You be careful, this bloody wind is a crippler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Keith...Gorgeous sunrise ..just beautiful! The Gulls cracked me up with that foot work ..never saw anything like that before lol!!
    Now what's with all this heavy breathing ..you know if it wasn't for other reasons,than I know your over doing it ..it could be a turn on!! lol!!
    It was 8 degrees this morning here...those birdies survive very well here in the cold...as for me I try to keep warm, but it won't hurt to have an old bugger around. ; }
    Hugs
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bit late with replies; sorry.

    Thanks Marilyn. New set of tablets now; if I remember.
    The Kingfisher is usually around that bit. Saw one today, up by the island on the north lake.

    Thanks Horst. They're pretty clever these birds, to figure that out.

    Let's hope for a sunny weekend where you are Andrew.
    That's a lot of travelling for work.

    Cheers Roy. Yea, I forget I can't do some of the things I used to do lol

    Thanks Adrian. That rain dance is fascinating to watch.
    Another windy morning here.

    Thanks Grace. That heavy breathing turns me on sometimes lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for the late comments, but for the last couple of days I've had lots to do and not much time to do it in!! it gets like that sometimes!

    Wow, what a beautiful sunrise that was...and, I was up in time to see it...lol

    Excellent images and video but can you please stop those Gulls from doing the 'RAIN DANCE', cos it worked!...lol

    Now, you need to take it easy, and keep (start!) taking those tablets, (as they say). And next time give those bloody steps a miss!!...nag over!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers Trevor. I'm all behind myself too lol
    The rain dancing gulls were great to watch; and it worked too. :-)
    I think I need someone to nag me; sometimes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic Sunrise.
    I wonder why there are goats on the island.
    Fascinating to see the gulls 'dancing'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks John.
    Apparently the goats are there to keep a lot of the vegetation down.
    A great idea I think; very natural.

    ReplyDelete