Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 6 January 2012

Sunshine, gulls and a weed dance.

A gull fest today; and why not. I love 'em.

Sunshine, and no wind; a perfect morning.

At the footbridge, by the car park, I managed to get some brief video of a white headed Chaffinch I've seen around for a few days. Quite a distinguished looking bird.

All the regular water birds were around this morning, and a Kingfisher, briefly posing up on the north lake.

I was very pleased to capture some video of a pair of Great Crested Grebes performing the full reed dance too. I thought they only did this in February. I guess the mild weather is fooling the birds.

By the pub, a few gulls were posing very nicely for me.
A couple of Great Black-backed Gulls, a Lesser Black-backed Gull, and a Herring Gull.



When I looked closely, I noticed he was wearing a ring.




It looks like '533' or '539' to me. It would be interesting to get some history of this bird.
Whilst I was watching this one, a juvenile, (not sure what species), was having some fun with a mussel.



He didn't seem very successful with it though.


On round the south lake, and after feeding my Crows, I found a few Siskin in the trees. I watched them for a while, as they performed their acrobatics in the tree tops, along with some Chaffinch and Blue Tit.
Another Kingfisher flashed across the water, as some Little Grebe were doing their best to be inconspicuous.

A group of gulls were bobbing and washing on the water, not too far ahead, so I stood watching them for a while. Black-headed, some Common Gulls, and a couple of Herring Gulls. Then one left the water, and took off. Yellow legs. A Yellow-legged Gull. A good find.

I made my way past the rowing club, and another group of gulls were making use of the boat jetties while it was quiet. Mostly Black-headed Gulls, but a lone Lesser Black-backed Gull was enjoying their company too.




Eventually I found my way back at the bird feeders.
A Great Spotted Woodpecker enjoying the peanuts, and a group of Bullfinches in the bushes.


I noticed Trevor's car in the car park, so a quick wander under the road bridge, found him way across the north lake.
A quick phone call.....'had I seen the 3 Goosander that flew in about half an hour ago?'
No.

Never mind, always tomorrow.







Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Yellow-legged Gull [sp] (Larus michahellis)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
British Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major anglicus)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  41

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful Herring Gulls and Lesser Black-backed Gull Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great day for a walk around the lake today Keith.

    At last! you've managed to capture the G C Grebe weed dance.. and in perfect light too...excellent!

    Nice to have a brief chat, even if it was by 'phone across the water...lol.

    I eventually found the Goosander again, they were still on the North Lake in the bay round by the houses...showing well in the sunlight. I got some video but by the time I get to post it it'll be history!...lol...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bob. There were plenty of gulls around today. :-)

    Cheers Trevor. It was a nice morning wasn't it.
    I'll look for the Goosanders tomorrow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The GCG dance reminded me of the Monty Python sketch where they were dancing on the edge of a canal lock slapping each others faces with fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Humour at its best John; thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Keith...I am trying this again for the last time lol..first time you must have posted your comment at the same time I tryed to leave one ..a pop up came up and said commenting conflict ..well maybe it was John's fault lol!!
    The Grebe weed dance is amazing,and also comical..I liked it!!
    I like the gulls to and they are comical to watch, but when people feed them at the beach, and you look and they have made of with your lunch, and come back later and leave a deposit on your towel...well I guess it is the peoples fault lol!!
    Great one yesterday of the Goldfinch on the feeders..

    Two hugs today
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the gulls also. Perhaps because the are always by water and only here for a few months out of the year.
    Lovely photos. Im off to watch the vid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its so beautiful to hear the water and the sound of the Birds here in frozen Canada. I loved the little signets. Very nice

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to laugh at the clumsy gull with his mussell, if nothing else he sure had patience!! WOW that dance was awesome what a moment...and when your video was done and the You Tube line up of other Videos with WEED in the title came up, one was Smoke the Weed and Dance..lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Grace. I was fortunate to be able to get all the weed dance display. Fascinating to watch.

    Thanks Lisa. Glad you enjoyed the video too. :-)

    Thanks Sondra. Some of the videos that come up on the lists can be quite strange lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great video again. What a difference a bit of clement weather makes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Adrian. Yea, a bit of sun can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete